Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
I just posted a video showing how the camera is installed on my CubCrafters Carbon Cub FX-3. It's a simple and inexpensive mod with great benefit or more situational awareness especially for those like me to taildraggers. Trent Palmer was one of the first I saw to use one after a prop strike on an orange cone I think it was in the ramp area, then others followed. Two parts needed from Amazon. Nothing to it! You'll see me using this all the time in my videos during taxi.

Amazon product ASIN B07H852D49
Amazon product ASIN B006VK8IEI

A follow up on how to install a forward looking camera, the missing chapter which is how to power it with the required 12V power. I did not install the camera in my plane as the avionics guy (Jamie) at CubCrafters took care of it for me after delivery. Today I went to tinker on my plane continuing my hunt for an electrical gremlin and removed the G3X display (aka GDU) and broke the RCA adapter that connects to the RCA to BNC adapter which goes into the GDU. There is a conflict behind my GDU to where these items hit an avionics component which ultimately caused the RCA side to break. I have a BNC 90 degree elbow on the way which I'll use and alleviate this problem. Links to all items discussed in this follow-up below.

Luckily I have a spare camera so I had the cable required to replace the one with the RCA on the end. I considered just replacing the RCA plug but didn't want to deal with soldering and anything else required. The first part was to get the plug that is forward of the firewall through the firewall to be pulled out. I had to remove the sealant and during this process I emailed CubCrafters support and asked them what sealant this is as I will need to replace it when I'm done. Pete emailed me back right away and told me it's a high temp sealant. The one he sent me a picture of seems to be expensive, there are alternatives so I bought the one linked below. Obviously carbon monoxide is a concern so this needs to be sealed up properly and also use the correct sealant.

I finally got the cable through, took a little effort and of course the gymnastics being on your back below the panel to do things. Now it's time to figure out the power part of this setup which I never knew. What Jamie did was piggy backed off of my 5A breaker they installed for my taxi light so there is a ring connector for the 12V positive attached to that. The negative/ground is attached via ring connector to the avionics tray. There is an inline fuse on the positive cable for the camera with a 1A blade fuse.

All in all not a hard setup but this also explains why my camera requires master on in order to work now that I understand the power supply side of the equation. There is a red small gauge wire coming out from the RCA plug which is just tied back, I used electrical tape to just attach it along the main cable run.

Good to understand the full equation of how to install one of these. Hopefully the 90 degree elbow for the BNC connection will prevent this issue from happening again in the future.

Parts discussed:

Amazon product ASIN B01BWZ1QMW
Amazon product ASIN B081DHT8Y7
Amazon product ASIN B07J2RR4BT

Attachments

• IMG_4991.png
    IMG_4991.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230515_143056.jpg
    20230515_143056.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Follow-up: I've decided NOT to use the 90 degree elbow BNC adapter. I've been able to carefully handle the GDU disconnecting the BNC prior to removing the GDU which should solve the issue. Removing the bottom screws allows the GDU bottom to pull away enough to get my hand in to remove the BNC prior to removing the GDU.

Latest resources

Back