Inspections

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RockBass14

Convention tells me an aircraft will have an airframe and a engine logbook. I'm assuming if in the engine log there is an entry that says "engine inspected IAW annual inspection" that dosnt count for the airframe. Another reason i'm led to this conclusion is becuase there is no mention of an ELT in that particular entry, or any other entry for that matter. I've noticed that USUALLY the ELT is done with the annual, not always but usually. There should be an airframe annual entry correct?

Pt 91
Engines do not get an annual inspection
ELT inspection and test is part of the annual and an entry is made in the airframe log
Not all airplanes require an ELT

I suppose thats why I've come here...The aircraft in question will be used for flight training, so we will assume that this aircraft requires an elt, except for those few situations mentioned, we will be going further than 50NM from our destination and not going to a place to have it fixed. The plane is from he 60's so unless there is a grandfather clause i will assume we do need an ELT. I'm accustom to seeing a Annual inspection which includes an ELT/Battery entries and all mandatory ADs CW. the only mention i see of anything is "Engine inspected IAW annual inspection" Unless there is a airframe log burried somewhere this is all i'm assuming we have. something isnt right.

RockBass14 said:
Unless there is a airframe log burried somewhere this is all i'm assuming we have. something isnt right.

If you're saying there is no airframe log with the aircraft, that it's missing, then yes, then you have major problems...

An annual check of the ELT is required by 91.409. That doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be done at the annual, just that it must be on at least once a year. Usually, it is done during the annual inspection.

ELT installations aren't grandfathered, I've done many original ELT installations on aircraft built back to the 40's.

Some mechanics will sign off an inspection as "XXX inspection c/w xx/xx/xxxx, signature, date." I disagree with that practice. If your mechanic is doing this, it doesn't speak highly of him.

If you don't have a record of an annual inspection in your aircraft maintenance log ("airframe log"), then you haven't had an annual inspection. Period. Unless it's on a progressive inspection or other approved program, you need that signoff in the log.

When I do work or an inspection, at a minimum I list all work done, the publications authorizing or describing the work, parts installed and removed by serial number (excepting certain standard parts that are part of a group installation, such as all the packings and o-rings that go with a filter change...just list the filter change and the filter P/N). I list any operational checks and the results. If any AD's were due and performed, I list them. If none were due, I note that none were due, that an AD check was performed. If I service something, I note what I serviced, and what I used to service it...this can be very critical for someone else down the line, in order that certain lubricants, oils, etc, not be mixed...many are incompatable). I put enough detail, without writing a book, that an inspector or anybody else will have a clear picture of what I did without having to guess. If I used a particular manufacturer checklist for the inspection or work, I cite that, by name, document number, and page number.

Something the mechanic needs to remember is that when he signs off that airplane, he's signing off his work, but in the case of an annual inspection or any airworthiness inspection, he's signing of the work of all who came before. Be clear on what you did. And where others in the future take responsibility for the work you do today, you're still not absolved of your workmanship. Those who say a signature buys the past but not the future are sorely mistaken, and the best protection you can buy is to ensure your work is detailed. It also has the effect of lending credibility to your actions and making your appear your professional, detail-oriented self to others who view that entry.

If you're flying an airplane and you can't find a signoff for the annual inspection, and the aircraft is past it's inspection interval, then stop flying it and ground the airplane. It's unairworthy, and you can only get yourself in trouble trying to fly it without a termporary authorization (eg, ferry permit).

Latest resources

Back