input needed

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

blesko

Hey all, have a career decision to make and need some input from those in the biz. I've been offered a class date with cape air in hyannis on jan 3. I've also been offered a position (albeit in a pool) from ASA. I'm leading toward ASA, but here's the pros and cons as I see them from my tainted inexperience vision. Now I've asked myself, where do I want to be in 5/10 years, blah, blah and with state of the industy, who knows if we'll be around in 5-10 years. I'd like to possibly head toward blue or SWA or possible even corporate. Most corporate departments want turbine time (at least from what I've seen through online job postings, etc) so I may want to align myself with that. You have to have turbine time to get jobs it seems in some places.

Pros:
Capeair: Financially more stable than anyone else. Great people, great QOL, home every night, multi piston PIC in a scheduled 135 environment. Decent pay at 33k a year. Definate class date.

Pros:
ASA: CRM in a 2 crew environment. Turbine time. State of the art CRJs. Ability to move (ground instructor, check airman, union work, upgrade eventually, etc) down the road. Possible upswing for more pilot hiring putting more numbers hopefully on the list beneath me.

I see more professional growth at ASA, maybe I'm wrong.

Here's the cons:
Cons:
Capeair: Same 7 cities in an out for months. No room for movement, its a captain position single pilot. 6 month training agreement.

Cons:
ASA: Financial uncertainty. New owners. Mother Delta's looming strike. Reserve for gawd knows how long. No hiring no numbers beneath me.

Maybe I'm missing something, hope y'all can help shed some light on where the future looks best. Thanks for the help.

blesko said:
Hey all, have a career decision to make and need some input from those in the biz. I've been offered a class date with cape air in hyannis on jan 3. I've also been offered a position (albeit in a pool) from ASA. I'm leading toward ASA, but here's the pros and cons as I see them from my tainted inexperience vision. Now I've asked myself, where do I want to be in 5/10 years, blah, blah and with state of the industy, who knows if we'll be around in 5-10 years. I'd like to possibly head toward blue or SWA or possible even corporate. Most corporate departments want turbine time (at least from what I've seen through online job postings, etc) so I may want to align myself with that. You have to have turbine time to get jobs it seems in some places.

Pros:
Capeair: Financially more stable than anyone else. Great people, great QOL, home every night, multi piston PIC in a scheduled 135 environment. Decent pay at 33k a year. Definate class date.

Pros:
ASA: CRM in a 2 crew environment. Turbine time. State of the art CRJs. Ability to move (ground instructor, check airman, union work, upgrade eventually, etc) down the road. Possible upswing for more pilot hiring putting more numbers hopefully on the list beneath me.

I see more professional growth at ASA, maybe I'm wrong.

Here's the cons:
Cons:
Capeair: Same 7 cities in an out for months. No room for movement, its a captain position single pilot. 6 month training agreement.

Cons:
ASA: Financial uncertainty. New owners. Mother Delta's looming strike. Reserve for gawd knows how long. No hiring no numbers beneath me.

Maybe I'm missing something, hope y'all can help shed some light on where the future looks best. Thanks for the help.

Good luck to you. You've had about 10+ interviews in the last 3 months with different airlines from what I recall. I am sure you will make the right choice. My opinion would be ASA if I were you, but you should have the knowledge and experience after a dozen interviews to make that right call. Good luck.

BoDEAN said:
Good luck to you. You've had about 10+ interviews in the last 3 months with different airlines from what I recall. I am sure you will make the right choice. My opinion would be ASA if I were you, but you should have the knowledge and experience after a dozen interviews to make that right call. Good luck.

yeah, i'm in a pool for most, however ASA looks about the most promising. Only in a pool for 2 at the curent moment after 4 interviews including cape air, so its not too bad. best of luck on the eagle interview man.

How long have you been in pool at ASA? Longer in pool means earlier call for class when they start filling them. I can't see the future with what's gonna happen anywhere in flying, so I couldn't tell ya what your life will be like at ASA. I see ASA as in the middle, some better, some worse, than us but not a bad place to be overall. It has the potential to be so much better. That's about the best thing I can say about ASA.

Good Luck.

i got the letter around the thanksgiving time, so just about a month or so if that helps. thanks much for the input

blesko,

Great thread man, it sounds like you've really thought this out and thats great. I've learned from my limited experience that its hard to plan for the future with the career. You just kinda need to do whats right for today and hope that it works out. With that in mind. I would say stick with ASA. The "heavier aircraft", turbine, and glass time is very valuable with the compaines your looking at going to some day. just my 2 cents but I hope it helps.

blesko said:
Cons:

ASA: Same 15 cities in and out for months.
I wouldn't worry about the lack of changing scenery....you're not gonna get much at either airline. I've only seen 3 airports while on reserve here in california........

Not counting ATL I see the same five airports all month and I am not on the ATR.

Latest resources

Back