Initial CFI Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
GoingHot Hi!
The 90% failure rate comes sraight out of my FSDO.
I didn't made up that number.

I believe that "Airman flight school " in Norman, OK have their
own DPE'S that are giving V-Rides for initial CFI.

Good Luck!!

Flyboy,

Since I live very close to POC I am thinking about ADP for my Commercial and possibly CFI. Is the staff at APD friendly and helpful? How many CFIs does ADP have that are qualified to train for the initial CFI? Is the advertised cost of $1,599 realistic? What is the first time pass rate. Thanks for the info. Rick

V-Rides

"I believe that Airman flight school in Norman, OK have their
own DPE'S that are giving V-Rides for initial CFI."

What is a V-Ride?

RickVF,

Natalie is the girl I talked to and she is very nice. She has an Australian accent so you'll know if you talk to her. As far as how many instructors they have, I really don't know. I asked the same questions you're asking me. I was told that when people go over their hours required, it's not by much. However, for the initial CFI the DEs charge $400, something to think about if you fail. That is not included in the $1599 nor is the written(s). About the pass/fail, she said that it really depends on you (typical answer from a flight school that's going to charge you extra if you fail). Maybe you could get a different answer from her. Anyway, from what I've seen on this post, it appears that it is going to take A LOT of studying and preparation for this rating, not to mention an act of the THE LORD HIMSELF to pass it the first time. Good luck.

For anyone who wants to fly for the airlines, I would highly suggest taking a CFI checkride with the feds. I feel it is a good eye opener as of what to expect during a confrontational interview at an airline.

took my initial CFI with Robert Fuller, FAA, in Houston. I did better on this ride than any other I've taken. I'd attribute this to being well prepared and a little lucky.

Here are a couple of items I'd recommend. Take all the reference material you think you may conceivably need (US Govt/FAA materials only, as I recall). Be well rested so you can quickly dig for information, think fast and talk/instruct effectively. Lastly, and maybe most importantly, never quit talking/instructing - except when you take a break or go to lunch!

As for Mr. Fuller, he rides a Harley... a little motorcycle discussion (at the tight time) to break the ice might not hurt either!

From what I know about ADP's CFI program, you better come prepared with writtens taken, and all of your lesson plans finished and you should have some prior experience. I know someone who went there and it is more of a brush up program. You need to come prepared and be pretty savvy to finish their program (or any accelerated program for that matter) in the time they say you can finish. Also consider weather, mechanicals, scheduling problems. As far as 90% failure rates, I would not say that is exactly true. Some initial CFI's do fail, I happened to be one of them, but I failed because I made a stupid mistake (very minor, but stupid mistake). I took it with the FAA and never felt that the inspector was out to get me at all. Almost everyone who fails a checkride does it themselves. Mostly nerves. I don't think that too many examiners want people to fail, however there are some out there that are out to get people and they shouldn't be working. SEE YA

I'm also about to start work on my CFI, how much time did most of put into getting your CFI? I realize the school I'm at takes longer than some of those accelerated courses, but I'm talking about hours put into preperation for the checkride and/or the writtens?

Latest resources

Back