Information about Delta Dispatch...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bgaviator

Does anyone know if Delta ever hires outside of the company for dispatchers? I've been checking their site quite frequently over the last couple of years, and never see postings for them...same goes for Alaska Airlines....all of the other airlines I've seen postings for, but not these two....is there some secret about viewing their openings, or have they just truly not been hiring for the last couple of years? Thanks.

From what I heard from someone who went through the process, gotta talk to their contracted hiring agency first, who has no idea what dispatch is, followed by a timed SAT type test (yeah, remember in high school?) then go see a shrink who would ask what's on this drawing and stuff, then finally a panel interview with actual dispatch managers. I am surprised they didn't give him a full physical and stick a finger up his ass. They can shoot you down at any of these levels, it doesn't matter if you are Top Gun of dispatch with tons of serious heavy metal long haul experience. It's like you are trying to become an astronaut at NASA. They would also say, "this is more than a dispatcher position, it's a flight superintendant position!!" and "well, we want to train the DELTA way from scratch" and piss on Comair and ASA dispatchers for some years by hiring double digit numbers and not accepting a SINGLE resume from the wholly owned Delta Connection carriers (ASA wholly owned back then just across the street, same union and everything), and saw better chance getting on with them by loading Delta bags in ATL as a full time Delta employee, or that 24 year old girl with a Delta badge down the hall making coffee for everyone. They hired some (not very many) outsiders, by act of God, in that past a couple of years. The human resources department also had issues giving opportunity for regional employees after 9/11 when a lot of flying was divested from mainline to regional and as a result, mainline shrunk with some furloughs, deep cuts and early retirements. I never applied, but I didn't sit and wait for that, I moved on to where I am happy. Timing is everything.

Last edited:
There is going to be a lot of issues with the additional NWA guys coming on line also..eventually.

Actually, not too long ago they did hire a Comair dispatcher who had been there at Comair for a long time - 5-7 years (I think that was his time at OH).

He did a few months as an assistant, then he made the move to a full DX.

Like every one of the majors, you need an inside contact. Thankfully, I have one at DL, but I just spending my time building up my experience.

I applied for the last openings they had in August. I don't recall the "contracted" staffing company. I applied directly through DL. The proposed merger with NWA has everything on hold. The class prior to this "opening", EV lost two employees to DL and they were Assistants for about 6 months. It was the first time external applicants were accepted in more than 10 years. With the market now flooded with displaced dispatchers, you can bet jobs openings will become more competitive. The test DL gives is quite intimidating and yes it's timed, but by no means is it difficult. It's a combination of basic deductive reasoning skills, reading comprehension, and the MMPI. The sad news is, no one should expect any vacancies to exist at DL until the dust from the merger settles. Both airlines have about 150-200 in their dispatch office. Combining the two, furlough is almost inevitable for some depending on how many retire, take the early out, and/or move from MSP.

I applied for the last openings they had in August. I don't recall the "contracted" staffing company. I applied directly through DL. The proposed merger with NWA has everything on hold. The class prior to this "opening", EV lost two employees to DL and they were Assistants for about 6 months. It was the first time external applicants were accepted in more than 10 years. With the market now flooded with displaced dispatchers, you can bet jobs openings will become more competitive. The test DL gives is quite intimidating and yes it's timed, but by no means is it difficult. It's a combination of basic deductive reasoning skills, reading comprehension, and the MMPI. The sad news is, no one should expect any vacancies to exist at DL until the dust from the merger settles. Both airlines have about 150-200 in their dispatch office. Combining the two, furlough is almost inevitable for some depending on how many retire, take the early out, and/or move from MSP.

Exactly correct! I had an interview two January's ago. I didn't make the cut but DL hired one our duty managers and another was a line dispatcher who had an extremely good resume (degree in aviation management (I think), an instrument rating, was a red coat/manager on the gate for over five years, worked in crew scheduling as a supervisor, was an ATS doing comp checks in addition do his dispatch duties, was extremely well polished and spoke another language.)
The thing that stinks is that DL will make you wait one whole year before you can apply/test/interview again if you didn't make it through the first time.
Based on my interview, DL seemed to be looking for some experience but mostly those who have been managers. It seems that management experience trumps dispatch experience. They will also be looking for someone with an excellent attendance record. You can be assured they will ask you a question about that on your interview.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back