Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Informal poll for the IR's: do you fly single piston in IMC?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Do you fly Singe Engine's Into Hard IMC

• Yes, frequently, sometimes (or often) with passengers.

Votes: 89 35.9%
  • Yes, frequently, but never with passengers.

Votes: 11 4.4%
  • Yes, but only in Turbine Powered Singles

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Occasionally, but I generally try to avoid it.

Votes: 76 30.6%
  • Only if I absolutely have to.

Votes: 35 14.1%
  • No frickin' way!

Votes: 31 12.5%

• Total voters
To answer your question with another question,

Which do you feel is safer?

Single engine IFR, Or scud running to fly in marginal VFR?

I would rather be up in the clouds, than running just underneth them only able to see 120 seconds ahead of me.

Discuss.

I suppose you might call that a statement of irony.

1.You do know that your messages are very difficult to read, don't you? Typing lessons, perhaps even some basic language lessons might be in order. Never the less...

2.Do you have difficulty interpreting your airborne weather radar in your single engine piston engine airplane?

3. Your attitude is what betrays you as inexperienced. Your total hours are also irrelevant, as they have little if anything to do with experience...

4.your manner of language, your approach, your attitude, and your understanding speak loudly of inexperience, and that much you do a poor job of hiding. Seeing as you brought it up.

5.Why don't you tell us all about him?

1.yes, so ive heard.. actually i could go for a few lessons, english was never my strong point.. do you know of any teachers.?

2. none. and normally i don't have one in the singles.

3. my attitude is what it is.. whether its here, or im in my attorneys office closing a real estate deal, its the same..

4. blah, blah, blah.. a know it all, is a know it all no matter what.. actually i like ********************ing with people and i have seem to do a great job of it with you.. i cant argue with you because you know everything.

5. what's to tell, read the forums.

i will still bring up a fact....

calling someone who flies seimc foolish is strictly a matter of opinion, it is not a fact! and i will take it as just that....

there is more on the stats which you argue about, and i feel you are wrong.. but trying with you is like that dead horse thing with the stick... haha

cheers

Last edited:

I would rather be up in the clouds, than running just underneth them only able to see 120 seconds ahead of me.

Discuss.

Tough call. If the wx was that low, I probably wouldn't be out SE IMC unless I was over very friendly terrain. If I'm VFR below it, and the terrain is friendly, I could always keep a landing site in sight, which adds some options. If I had to come down through the clouds and then break out, would I have time to find a spot and make a play for it? Dunno. If those were my only two choices, I'd be at the house.

To answer your question with another question,

Discuss.

se-ifr.
like 'Tracom' said if the weather is that low, you prob shouldn't be out there vfr.

Would you rather be shot in the head with a .22LR, or in the abdomen with a .45LC?

Would you rather be struck in the crosswalk by a Volkswagn Beetle, or struck j-walking by a Chevy Impala?

Would you rather drink arsenic, or swallow crushed glass?

Which is safer? Running barefoot on a field of poisonous snakes, or swimming with hungry crocodiles?

How about this...weather is bad, sit on the ground and let it pass. Which is the best course of action...skud run or fly piston single engine IMC? Neither is the best course. Grab a hotel room, rent a car, wait a day, then go.

if the weather was at or above minimums, maybe, just maybe when he supposedly lost his engine, he would have had 10 seconds to avoid what ever he hit, so that is the point..

Personally, I don't hang my life on "maybe, just maybe." Nor would I accept a 10 second radius of places to land. Oh, and what happens to these 10 seconds where the terrain elevation is higher than the airport the approach was for?

Personally, I don't hang my life on "maybe, just maybe." Nor would I accept a 10 second radius of places to land. Oh, and what happens to these 10 seconds where the terrain elevation is higher than the airport the approach was for?

you are correct, i don't except maybe either. there were other factors involved in the accident that we dont know about. the point was the weather was below mins, if it got that way unexpectedlyor if he launched with it that way remains to be seen.

One might well notice that the willingness in this regard generally equates to experience. Inexperienced pilots often reply that they will, experienced pilots often reply that they will not, generally speaking.

Why do you suppose that is?

Because we've been scared ********************less one time too many, and one or both of our parents have passed away, stripping away our delusions of immortality.

Again, most pilots who feel single engine piston airplane instrument flight is okay, are too inexperienced to know better.

Personally, I didn't spend a lot of time in singles flying in the soup...I sat it out, went around, went under, or scrubbed the flights. Just like I do today.

Sorry, but going "under" is not any safer, in my mind, than going "through." I'd much rather be in IMC on an IFR flight plan at a comfortable altitude than be hemmed in by lowering ceilings and rising terrain yet still in VMC, and this is regardless of aircraft category and class.

In any case, regarding the original question. I will take a piston single in to IMC (since my job occasionally requires it--I doubt I'd do it of my own volition). My basic minimums: No ice, no convection, cielings over 1000' along the route, and VFR within range of the aircraft. And if it is single pilot, the airplane must have a functioning autopilot. This is a starting point, and I would probably be more conservative if there were other risk factors such as mountainous terrain or open water...

...and I look forward to the day when I don't have to do it anymore.

-Goose

Sorry, but going "under" is not any safer, in my mind, than going "through." I'd much rather be in IMC on an IFR flight plan at a comfortable altitude than be hemmed in by lowering ceilings and rising terrain yet still in VMC, and this is regardless of aircraft category and class.

I suggested no such thing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back