info on fedex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

yahoo

I'm looking for a little more info on fedex if anyone has the time. I know that they are one of the best jobs out there, I would just like to educate myself a little more before taking the next step. (I have pored over this board, but can't find these specifics)

I've heard about hub turns and that a commuting newbie is likely to get lines with these after getting off reserve. Is the duty from Mon AM to Sat PM (or
Sun AM). I guess if you're wanting to get back home, you might be able to fudge those times a little, depending on flights to and from your home? Basically how many days and nights can you expect to be gone? Are these lines typical for newbies in the 72 and the 10? What types of cities are these likely?

What about vacation accrual and after how many years to you get it? What about sick days?

Health bennies for out of MEM folks?

Pension and retirement? (I know it's kick ass, but haven't heard any specifics)

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for the info.

Yahoo-

The underlining question I get from your post is "How easy or hard is it to commute as a new hire?" If that is your question then I would have to say it is really easy to commute and work your schedule as a new hire (unless you live somewhere out in the boonies). As a new hire a typical reserve schedule is 15 days on, 13 off during a 4 week bid month. Those 15 days could one big block, an 8 & 7 day block or even a 5,5,&5 day block. There is a lot of flexiblity.

FedEx probably has the best vacation system in the industry. Years 1-5 you get 15 days (1 (8)day block, 1 (7)day block. Each 1 week vacation really turns out to 3 weeks off (or more) if you bid your schedule right, its very easy.

Each calendar year your sick bank gets 72 hrs of credit which basically equates to 1 6hr trip a month. Any unused sick time for the year gets thrown into long term disablility account, just in case.

As far as medical goes it really depends on where you live in the country...some places its really good and other cities not so good. I live in a pretty big cit and have POS healthcare which is REALLY good.

Pension and retirement...by the time I retire (2030) it will all be redone, revamped, regulation will be rewritten and the company could be who knows where. All I know is that it is OK now but there is plenty of room for improvement.

Bottom line is that FedEx is a young financially secure company with a bright future ahead that provides good benefits, fare wages (could be better) and excellent job security, I'm very lucky to be where I am today:)

Hope this helps.

...and if you try some searches in this forum, you'll learn all (or more) than you want to know. There have been HUGE threads on this subject.

BTW, I commute, and it has been manageable.

Huck/PT,

Either of you know how commuting from San Diego is. I'm starting next month and am addicted to SoCal. Any guesses on how long, based on current hiring, to get to LAX?

Thanks guys!!

New FDX Guy-

SAN is commutable, there are 2 Airbus flights a day to MEM...one in the morning and one in the evening. The Airbus has the most jumpseats available, 4 in the back and 2 upfront...I think.

I assume you are still in training or just about to start. If we continue to hire at the current pace I'd guess that you could hold LA somewhere between the 4-6 year time frame...that is IF the base is still open then. System Chief Pilot JL said himself that if it was up to him he would shut the base down right now.

Management is not growing the LAX base and on the last couple of bids it has gone relatively senior. The flying in LA has gone downhill (lots of out-n-backs) so there is a chance that it might go junior on the next bid closing on the 31st. Who knows, we'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
How junior is the Anchorage base?

Any words on commuting, health care, etc, in Anchorage?

Thanks!

My two cents on LAX. I think as FedEx grows in Asia-Pacific, they are going to need a MD-11 pilot base in LAX (or convert Subic to MD-10s to have MD-11 pilots already in theatre). It takes over two days to deadhead crews from MEM or ANC to anywhere in the Pacific. From LAX, there are direct flights to HKG, SIN, NRT, TPE, KIX, etc. I think as a LAX F/Os will get a majority of the RFO legs. Until they figure how LAX fits in the system, I think the lines will continue to be a lot of domestic out-and-backs, mixed with a bit of HNL and international trips. Even though JL wants it closed, I can't see them closing it right now. But I have been wrong before.

LAX Info: Only a MD-11 base. You cover three bases LAX, ONT, and BUR. Although we NEVER fly into BUR on the -11 (runway is too small), but technically you could deadhead out of there. BUT, I HAVE NEVER SEEN A PAIRING/TRIP WITH BUR IN IT YET. The reserve call out is 3 hours, but most of the time they give you more notice. I think LAX is going to go through a bit of a transition. I think it is going to go very Junior for the Captains, and the First Officers will be mixed (Senior at the top and very junior at the bottom). The lines are very difficult to commute to. A lot of pairings with one day on two days off, or three days on and three days off, etc. Very difficult to put trips back to back, to cut down on the commute. A new hire at FedEx could, if lucky, get to LAX (and ANC for that matter) within a 2-3 years, especially with the increase in the MD-11/MD-10 fleet. I think all people on property could be a wide-body first officer by year 3, assuming the fleet acquisitions go as planned.

Commute to ANC. All the westbound flights out of ANC leave in the morning. So if you commute to ANC LEGALLY, you must come in the day prior. Most of the lines are at most two or three departure lines, so you will only have to commute once or twice (three or more times if you are clueless on bidding/trip trading). Daily flights to ANC on FedEx from EWR, MEM, IND, OAK, and now LAX (except on Sunday for LAX). If you live on the west coast and commute, you will become a huge fan of Alaska Airlines (at least tickets on Alaska are very cheap); corporate ticket first class from LAX-ANC is less that $300.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back