Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
MetroSheriff said:
Firm stance? What does that mean?

I think you under the mistaken impression that the pilot group some how makes strategic decisions for the corporation.
hey smart guy,

remember that little corporate takeover a year or so ago??

yeah, that didn't go so well and the pilots were a big part of it.

independence pilots are a unified bunch and would rather die on our feet than live bent over. (you probably know about being bent over, being a jarhead though right?)

Always deferred said:
I will take no more concessions to aid my company in bidding for this flying. It's time to take a stand.
Thought I'd requote you since some pertinent comments were deleted by Metro....the key word is "concessions". UAL is pitting AWAC against itself and IAir and others. I'm with you. The bottom has been reached as far as I'm concerned. No more concessions.

IMO,

furloughed said:
You won't be crawling back, you will be saving your job. Take it from me it will be much better than lining up at the unemployment office with the dregs of society begging for you weekly stipend. This " I would rather stand alone and fail" attitude works fine until you are actually out of a job and it come times to feed the family. Anyone who works for Indy should of had their resumes updated months ago if not the summer of 2003 when the fine management of ACA came up with this plan. He11 anyone that works in this industry needs to have an updated resume.
I find it sad that an airline pilot (well, perhaps at the "regional" level) couldn't transition to another job (yes even one outside of aviation) that would pay approximately the same (25-40 thousand?). The past several years has been a wake-up call. You best have a back-up plan in case the business fails. That applies to all but especially to us. Just as I'm to proud to vote for a concession, you certainly wouldn't find me in front of the unemployment office.

--Sky

treetopflyer said:
hey smart guy,
Who, me? Smart is not a word that comes to mind. But thanks.

treetopflyer said:
Yes

treetopflyer said:
What was your big part? I mean specifically, as a pilot, what was your part?

treetopflyer said:
independence pilots are a unified bunch
I don't recall saying you we not unified. I think you are unified and I commend you for it. You unity seems more evident than many pilot groups. I just don't think that you sway corporate strategy very much.

treetopflyer said:
and would rather die on our feet than live bent over.
I'm pretty sure you just meant that as garden variety chest-thumping hyperbole, right?

treetopflyer said:
(you probably know about being bent over, being a jarhead though right?)
Is your inference that because I was in the Marine Corps I enjoy being sodomized???

I appreciate your interest in my sexual proclivities during my period of military service, but on the advice of counsel, I decline to answer. You know, don't ask don't tell and all that.

Thanks for asking though, sweet cheeks...;)

House_X said:
Great. We'll be the laughing stock of the industry "crawling" back to United. Time to update the ole resume...
A business decision that helps secure the future of your airline hardly makes you a lauging stock.

It is a tough business and companies need to do what they must to survive.

I would not characterize it as "crawling" back to United.

treetopflyer said:
hey smart guy,

independence pilots are a unified bunch and would rather die on our feet than live bent over. (you probably know about being bent over, being a jarhead though right?)

So the "Kill United" chants at the company pep rallies will continue then?

SkylerS said:
IMO,

I find it sad that an airline pilot (well, perhaps at the "regional" level) couldn't transition to another job (yes even one outside of aviation) that would pay approximately the same (25-40 thousand?). The past several years has been a wake-up call. You best have a back-up plan in case the business fails. That applies to all but especially to us. Just as I'm to proud to vote for a concession, you certainly wouldn't find me in front of the unemployment office.

--Sky
You have the fortunate position of having three years of devastating airline finacials to help everyone realize this. I didn't. I was hired by a major in July 2001 and finished IOE on the morning of September 11th. I was furloughed October 1st. I had less than three weeks from the 11th to October 1st and less than two weeks notice from them that I was actually getting axed on the 1st ( I knew it was coming just didn't expect it so soon). I don't care who you are, unless you are already doing something else on the side finding another job that pays 40,000 takes longer than the time I had, especially considering I worked right up until the day I was let go. It was necessary to collect Unemployment for three months until I found another job so I could at least keep my house. So even though your ego won't allow you to collect unemployment it was a life saver to the thousands of pilots who were furloughed right after 9-11. I suppose the same would go for senior pilots at a company that suddenly goes Chapter 7 and liquidates.

I agree with you though about people furloughed today. It is hard to believe it is over three years later and people are still being furloughed. To hear many of them talk it is like they were surprised or that they didn't think it could happen to them.

Always deferred said:
What is it with you people? You all think you know everything. "You better go back to United or you'll cease existing!" Do you honestly think that going back to UAL is the best thing for FLYi??? They are Bankrupt and have been for 2 years. They have NO sound business plan. Oh yeah TED is great. Esp now that they are out trying to find the "voice of TEd" Give me a break. The only plan they have is to continue to slash their loyal employees' benefits. What makes this such a good deal? Maybe a couple years of revenue. Then UAL either is gone, or tries to phase out ACA again. I dont think so. I would rather risk failure as FlyI than be guaranteed eventual failure as United Express.

Mr big investment man should crawl back under the little hole he came from. Just as we resisted MESA Im sure you will see a firm stance by the FLYi Pilot group aganist any attempt to reunite w/ UAL. The only good deal that can come out of this is for concurrent operations (as in keeping a good Independence Air operation separate from the pathetic farce known as UAL Express) I will take no more concessions to aid my company in bidding for this flying. It's time to take a stand.
I'm with you....and there are many at our organization that feel the same way you do. The rumors are flying around dulles like wildfire...I can't even keep up with it. I see no long term benefit to going back to UAL. Can you imagine what the morale would be like? And you better believe UA is going to ask for cuts...

As far as the comment about "feeding your family" from others...we can find better ways to feed our families than be an abused UAX pilot. I'd rather be furloughed and stick it out with FlyI than be doomed to fly an RJ for the rest of my life for UAX, who beats down contract companies on the price and pits pilot groups against each other.

No thanks. Long live FlyI!!!

MetroSheriff said:
At least it won't cost a lot to repaint when they rename it again.

They can just paint over the "IN"
I think if we just use a garden hose the new paint job should just wash away revealing the old livery. The company got a great deal on the paint job and ya get what ya pay for.

Resume updated.

FDJ2 said:
Independence Air has received a stern letter from its largest shareholder, demanding that the company revive a relationship with its former partner, United Air, to stave off bankruptcy, according to a published report Wednesday.

Shares of Independence Air (FLYI: news, chart, profile) rose 2 cents to close at $2.07 on Wednesday.
What's all this letter writing crap anyway? Just sell off the shares and move on.

Latest resources

Back