Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Incredible photo of a USAF C-17 Globemaster III and the "Corridor-in-the-Clouds"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So the heavy drivers can play Top Gun too :D

BTW - C-5, C-130, and C-141 all have yokes. Perhaps it's a Lockheed thing? :cool:

Last edited:
Well sheeit. Color me dumbfounded.

I stand corrected.

By the way....

My personal pet peeve:

singular=vortex, plural=vortices.

Just like...

singular=index, plural=indices

The stick on a C-17 is even fly by wire. There are four redundant flight control computers that turn stick movement into flight control actuation. There is also a mechanical backup. The plane also trims itself. So when you set 10 degress nose up and let go, voila, you stay at 10 degrees nose up.

It's very responsive too. Infact, during air-refueling, the plane enters "AR mode", which dampens down the responsiveness of the controls. Helps the pilot not over-react to staying behind the tanker.

Nothing like coming up initial at 500' AGL and pushing the stick to the left stop, entering about 45 deg of bank, throwing down gear and flaps and landing in 2000'. What a great plane, I miss her sometimes.

C40_Pilot said:
The C-17 definitely produces large wake vortices.
I've landed 45 seconds behind another C-17 in a formation landing. The wind was blowing just right and the vortices remained over the runway. At about 15' AGL, the vortices slammed us into the ground. Whoops.

Another vortice problem was that of personnel airdrop. When we tried to drop 200 lb mannequins from the plane, the vortices were causing them to do strange things. When mannequins were pushed out both doors, on both sides, they would collide in the middle behind the aircraft. We also found that if we tried to drop personnel in formation, the vortices of the preceeding aircraft created such a massive wake turbulence effect, that mannequins falling from trailing formation aircraft would sometimes get flipped inverted on their way down. Bummer if that happens to a real grunt. It tooks years of testing to figure out the right formation geometry so we could drop personnel in a 3 ship formation.

The picture looks pretty awesome, but as posted, the vortices produced are not unique to the C-17. Most any aircraft produces vortices at the wingtips, the magnitude varies.
RichO said:
Having flown both aircraft......all I can say, is their both REALLY FUN!!!
As pilots (and crew) can you see these spectacular and massive vortices/wakes via something along the lines of an electronic rear-view mirror? Or is it only through photos? And speaking of photos, how in the world do you get a shot like that? The picture is so sharp, big, and appears to have been taken from a wide-angle. Was another C-17 involved? Then there's the matter of keeping the camera steady when seeing something like this. It would certainly be interesting to hear or read the behind-the-scenes story from USAF military photographer who took this great shot.

Yes. Here's a pretty good writeup on tip vortices/wake turbulence and how any lift-producing airfoil produces them.

VNugget said:
Yes. Here's a pretty good writeup on tip vortices/wake turbulence and how any lift-producing airfoil produces them.
That's a good article (http://www.avweb.com/news/airman/183095-1.html). Thanks for pointing it out.

A post in the "Winglets" thread (#32 by mzaharis, http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=41780) references Chapter 3: Airfoils and Airflow (http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/airfoils.html) in See How It Flies by John S. Denker. While reading it with the C-17 and B747 photos in mind, another thought--really more of a "how remarkable" feeling--began to creep in: the birds, tiny hummingbirds, long-winged eagles, Blue Herons, and yes even the sparrows, "know" and "understand"--without having read a single textbook--the laws of aerodynamics, wing design, flight control, and piloting. And on top of that, they're good-looking and make flying appear as an effortless and simple activity!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back