• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Incompentence Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It was a noble effort, that unfortunately maybe never ended satisfactory,then again there were never any guarantees. It was the best, however, to tell the big U to go F itself and Johnny O to shove it. I will always be proud that one day I was part of Indy and will always miss the great people I flew with.

Sounds like Stella's starting to clear her throat. All joking aside, good luck to all those affected, it's a brutal business.

iflysky said:
It was a noble effort, that unfortunately maybe never ended satisfactory,then again there were never any guarantees. It was the best, however, to tell the big U to go F itself and Johnny O to shove it. I will always be proud that one day I was part of Indy and will always miss the great people I flew with.

The wife and kid don't care where the money comes from. I can't feed my family on..... "It was the best, however, to tell the big U to go F itself and Johnny O to shove it. I will always be proud that one day I was part of Indy"

Indy was a joke. been there, got that T-shirt....

The clowns got thier go ahead from the BOD.... They don't care if it suceeds or not... When they are done with Indy Air they will get new jobs at some other operation...

Meanwhile, you and I are left with nothing and responsibilities....

Saying the Airbi makes money, but the RJ is losing seems entirely too simplistic. The RJ would no doubt partly provide feed for the bus, so lose the RJ, lose the feed.

Secondly, I have liitle doubt, that TED, SONG or jetBlue would be all over the Indy route map, if Indy went all Airbus. The route net work would be entirely too easy to overlap.

Hope Indy makes it, but I think slugging it out is the way to go, not to shrink into a tiny Airbi fleet.

You are right, Dizel8, my breakdown was over-simplistic... a feedless FLYi may not make sense, though I suspect they'd still like fewer than 58 RJs. I am hoping they keep two types and at worst, shrink the RJ fleet down a bit more. Now, as far as Indy having made big mistakes... I believe the original business plan, even though ridiculed by the likes of analysts Ashcroft and Boyd, would actually have worked had it not been for a sort perfect storm of forces against it, including the fuel prices as well as a rather incompetent marketing team. And it's never over till it's over.

Not a real fan of KS and the boys, Indy was doomed from the start because of the management team. Most of the rank and file I would be proud to work with at another carrier (some of them I currently do)

I flew on Independence Air a few months ago and I was impressed. They don't overbook, their overweight and rebooking charges are reasonable and you can take an earlier flight, space permitting with no charge. These are the kinds of things that folks say pisses them off about the airlines. Here is an airline that addresses those issues and they have a hard time. I agree with others that it's been the RJ's that have killed them. Those airplanes are the product of flawed logic. Not sure about the management team....there probably isn't an airline alive where the management isn't disparaged by the rank and file.

That the frontline employees, esp. the pilots and FAs but also including some of the good apples amongst the ramp and CSR personnel, have gone to extraordinary efforts is clear. While there were "meltdowns" due to ramper shortages on groundstop days etc., those were the same sort that occur at any carrier when it's hub is hammered, but the pilots and FAs genuinely went to extra efforts compared to any regional working for a big mommy or daddy's fee for departure. Unfortunately T&K definitely were way too cocky for their own good as regards the business model of using RJs for LCC ops, and their egos let them fall through on the one thing that might have worked- an alliance with Virgin. Indy's A-319s are far and away, in my view, the most beautiful commercial airline liveries out there in North America right now, bar none, but they will probably soon be getting new paint jobs I suspect, as I now concede that I don't see any viable plan to keep a core surviving.

It's been a real treat to operate the 'bus. All we can do is hope that a rabbit comes out of the hat soon. Until then, the challenge is to keep the spirits up, keep the passengers happy and hope for the best.

Dizel8 said:
Saying the Airbi makes money, but the RJ is losing seems entirely too simplistic. The RJ would no doubt partly provide feed for the bus, so lose the RJ, lose the feed.

Secondly, I have liitle doubt, that TED, SONG or jetBlue would be all over the Indy route map, if Indy went all Airbus. The route net work would be entirely too easy to overlap.

Hope Indy makes it, but I think slugging it out is the way to go, not to shrink into a tiny Airbi fleet.

It's very simple. You can't turn a profit with 50 seat RJs at LCC fares (any hopes of doing such is even more futile with current and future fuel prices). Even if the crew flew for free, the plane was filled, and you strapped a few extra passengers outside to the wing the flight would go ot and come back with a loss.

G

Latest resources

Back