Incident or Not?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

furloaded

I'm filling out my NetJets app and come to the incident or accident question. No accident thankfully, but I did have the FAA after me once. I flew a plane with an open write up and my company self disclosed. The dispatcher didn't know the plane was grounded but the maintenance controller, who I talked to about a different write up on the same plane, never said the plane was busted. The logbook page was covered by the cardboard divider and had a 3 word entry: CA ALT INOP. no date no signature no Aircraft number, nothing.

Anyway, the FAA investigated and said in a letter " no violation of FAA regulations were found. Matter closed". Should I report that as an incident or not?

It happened almost ten years ago and there is no record of it on my incident/accident file. I just don't want to leave my current job, go to NJ and get fired over not reporting something on my app.

In my opinion, FWIW, I would say you don't need to mention it. I think they are looking for accidents and/or incidents per NTSB and FAA definitions. I would have to look them up but I would say this does not meet either of those.

Sounds to me like they investigated something but found nothing wrong. I think you would be fine saying no

I wouldn't worry about it. The FAA found nothing and they send you a letter, end of discussion. You don't need to mention that on the application or at the interview.

If you decide to mention that (on the app. or interview), make sure you explain it properly. They're going to ask about it and if you mess up the explanation, it could really hurt your chances.

Good luck and hope to see flying NJ metal some day. Great place to work

Last edited:
Incident means an occurrence other than an accident, associated with the operation of an aircraft, which affects or could affect the safety
of operations.

If they sent you a letter such as a warning notice, that would be a documented incident. The letter you got is called a "no action" letter and no violations were found, or they blamed it on someone else and you got a break. Don't report it, it's not on your record. You can research what is reported on the FAA's website under PRIA

Latest resources

Back