Incident on record?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cookmg

A mechanical cause was NOT determined for an incident that occured while I was PIC (bent metal). I successfully passed the resulting oral re-examination. No enforcement action was taken and to my knowledge, no enforcement action was even opened by the inspectors. The only written correspondence that I've received from the FAA was a letter concerning the need to conduct the re-exam and a letter notiying me of the results and the case was now closed.

What information will be available to a future employer?

How should I deal with this in an interview?

Thanks!!

Well it depends, we dont know the full story, honesty is always the best policy.

But, if they dont ask you about have you had any FAA reports written up, then there is no reason to bring it up, but if you are aware that they are going to do a background check then i would let then know in advance that there is something you would like to bring to there attention, explain what happened etc, you have learned from any mistakes you made and you re-passed your oral.

Things do happen, and where not perfect, so mistakes can happen.

You may also want to find out what (if any) the FAA has on record about you.

Goodluck.........

Is it possible to find out exactly what the FAA will disclose on background checks? One person suggested that since it was not an accident and no action was taken against me that my record could still be clean. How could I find out definatively? Can the FSDO tell me or do I need to go a little higher up?

Thanks.

Yes, when an employer wants a Pilot's Record Report, you must sign a permission form to release that information. On that form, you can choose for the FAA to send you a copy of your report so you'll know exactly what they're releasing about you. Don't know what this form is, my employer sent it during the background check process.

There probably is a way to request your Records directly, give AOPA a call.

If you go to the FAA web sight there is a form you can download to request all you records. I beleive the only way to do this is through the mail. Sorry , I downloaded it once for someone but I cant find it right now.

Thanks everyone.

Is there any difference between the information available to future employers in a background check and the information that I can obtain by requesting my airman records?

Essentailly you are asking if it is safe for you to lie. I would sugest being honest.

That being said, if you request your records, make sure you specify that you want them to include incident/accident summary. Most employers will not order the entire airman record from the FAA. They go on the assumtion that folks are honest with them.

FAA records

I cannot tell if the original poster was 609d (709). A 609 re-examination most certainly will show up in your airman records.

Everyone looking for work should order copies of their FAA airman and medical files. Links have been provided above. By obtaining your files, you will know what others can find out about you and can design appropriate interview answers.

For that matter, people should obtain all their credit records, driving records, school records, and, if applicable, court records. These will also help to level the playing field.

Of course, the best advice is to answer all questions honestly. But that does not mean you have to volunteer information beyond what is asked. Don't let your answers exceed the scope of the question.

Good luck with your interview.

Latest resources

Back