Incident on FAA Background

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

weekendwarrior

Does an incident (not accident) on an FAA background check have a potential of disqualifying you for a job? If the incident was a mechanical fault (as stated by the faa)?

In other words, do you get a chance to explain the situation, or does a job app just automatically get thown out if there is an incident?

I had an Incident/Accident in 88 and have never heard or seen anything from the feds or my employer since. I really dont think it matters that much, especially if there are No fatalities.Now ...if you have had a few... hmmmmm.:eek:

The FAA inspector said it would be on my FAA Background, listed as an "Incident" and listing "Mechanical Failure"

Obviously it's not my fault, I was just hoping it wasn't a "weed out factor" when it comes to going through the application piles.

Incidents

weekendwarrior said:
Does an incident (not accident) on an FAA background check have a potential of disqualifying you for a job? If the incident was a mechanical fault (as stated by the faa)?

In other words, do you get a chance to explain the situation, or does a job app just automatically get thown out if there is an incident?
Frankly, as a practical matter, it's far easier for H.R. coneheads to hire saints than sinners. Since most cabbages and watermelons are far more intelligent than most H.R. people who only can see black and white and not in shades of grey, my answers would be "yes" and "no."

Having said all that, there are a few exceptions to the anti-intelligence and anti-perceptiveness exhibited by most H.R. In other words, a few of these people have some brains. If your quals and experience interest them, you will have your chance to give your side of the story.

Two things you should do: (1) Answer all application questions honestly, meaning a "yes" if the question is asked. But if the question demands an explanation of your incident, you should write something like "to be explained at the interview" in that blank. If you try to explain the incident on your app, it will be in writing, which you really don't want and it will give them an excuse to sh!tcan your materials. (2) Order your FAA airman and medical records. In so doing, you will have the same information that they can obtain about you, which will allow you to design answers for any problem areas.

Hope that helps a little. Good luck with your job search.

Last edited:
bobbysamd said:
(1) Answer all application questions honestly, meaning a "yes" if the question is asked. But if the question demands an explanation of your incident, you should write something like "to be explained at the interview" in that blank. If you try to explain the incident on your app, it will be in writing, which you really don't want and it will give them an excuse to sh!tcan your materials.
Even if it is a mechanical failure (as in this case)? I would suspect that a mechanical failure would be a better response than "to be explained at interview". You can't really fault the pilot if the mechanic puts the engine together wrong and leaves out a few important screws.

Application strategy

Jedi_Cheese said:
Even if it is a mechanical failure (as in this case)? I would suspect that a mechanical failure would be a better response than "to be explained at interview". You can't really fault the pilot if the mechanic puts the engine together wrong and leaves out a few important screws.
Of course not, but 14 CFR 91.3 states that the pilot-in-command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.

I think you're better off explaining something like that verbally rather than commiting it to writing. Sometimes, things reduced to writing look far worse than they really are.

The incident should not be a problem whatsoever. Whatever you do don't write "will explain in interview" on the application. I was told by the chief pilot recruiter at United that this is one way to ensure you don't get to the interview. Just follow the instructions on the application and explain that the FAA determined it was mechanical failure. They can't hold that against you. They are not looking for saints, just competent pilots with good decision making skills and resonable personalities. There are plenty of people with "problems" in their background working for regional and major airlines.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back