Inappropriate Flight Attendant

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Resume Writer said:
Someone in a previous post wrote that the non-rev would be causing herself more trouble if she wrote in and the FA told another story. I disagree with this statement.

When I worked in Customer Relations at my old airline, if a statement as strong as this came in, it was not uncommon for some of the passengers to be contacted to verify the story. I know that we had company policy and procedure about discussing things while in uniform because we were representing the company while in that uniform.

That was probably me. I still stand by my take on the situation. EternalOptimist is a non-rev and the wife of a pilot. Her complaint will certainly open a can of worms, but what will it accomplish? Can't you just hear the comments in the flight attendant breakroom? "So I was working this flight with a bunch of soldiers on it and I offered them free drinks. Get this: Some pilot's wife writes a letter to the friggin' company saying that I didn't charge them for the drinks! Now I'm in trouble! I'm telling everyone I know this story so they know what kind of pilots we have working for us!"

This will do nothing but dissolve into a he-said, she-said, (or in this case she-said, she-said) and will serve no purpose other than creating tension between two employee groups. We all know we have morons and jerks working in every position at our respective companies. Management generally knows exactly who these individuals are. Pointing them out in this manner will only serve to get your name, and your husband's, added to the flight attendant's in the manager's mind as being involved in this incident, when you weren't involved at all.

This is the point . . . .

air cowboy said:
She asked a few questions that took about 10 seconds. She was trying to see if they had a similiar opinion to her own (which many troops do). When she realized that what she had said could have been offensive she tried to make up for it by offering beer, and being over friendly. That is a good trait.
The point is this: She was in uniform and on duty. By wearing her uniform and being on duty, she represents her company. Her question was political and controversial and, therefore, inappropriate. She had no right to ask such a question at any time. It does not matter if she conversed with the troops for ten seconds, ten minutes or ten hours. Period. Moreover, unlike this flight attendant, troops in uniform are not likely to express any opinions about the war or any related opinions. Once she asked the question, she had rung the bell. You cannot unring a bell, even with free beer.

Any comparisons to the Captain thanking the troops for serving are absolutely and utterly absurd.

Last edited:
Someone should have gotten up and taken her by the hair, dragged her dumass down the aisle and launched her down the air stairs onto the ramp and then promptly closed the a/c door. I'll bet the a/c would have erupted in applause.

edit...if anyone wants to pm me her name and her bosses contact info. I'll be more than happy to express my views. ;)

Last edited:
Bobbysamd is 100% correct here. She is representing her company and in this case was totally out of line and should be reported to not only her direct supervisor but to the president of the company.

For the most part all I do is fly soldiers. They are all a great bunch of guys, if anything that FA was entertaining to them and broke up the monotony of the flight. More than likely they were just a reserve or guard unit as they were travelling on a regular airline flight. AMC charters aircraft to move the majority of their troops as I am sure that their "carry-ons" wouldn't get past the TSA.(he, he)

TurboS7 said:
For the most part all I do is fly soldiers. They are all a great bunch of guys, if anything that FA was entertaining to them and broke up the monotony of the flight. More than likely they were just a reserve or guard unit as they were travelling on a regular airline flight. AMC charters aircraft to move the majority of their troops as I am sure that their "carry-ons" wouldn't get past the TSA.(he, he)

Man I loved doing CRAF. The jet is packed full of machine guns, rocket launchers, M-16's, sidearms, and guys ready to go to work. The cockpit door remained open the whole flight. I remember once coasting in over Ireland on a remarkeably clear night, and the young guys, who had never been out of the U.S., were awestruck at what to us was a normal sight. "Yup that's Dublin over there." "DUBLIN!" They thought it was the coolest thing. Their attitudes really gave us an emotional boost over what to us had become boring and routine.

Patmack18 said:
True.. but I can't stand people like this FA she's talking about.

Hear ya hoss,

I don't practice what I preach on this site. When I am in uniform or someone knows I've been in the Navy. I get the ol' what about the war, or what do you think of Bush. For me it's smile buy them a drink, or change the subject. The best remedy to make them shut their friggin mouths.

It is possible to support the actions of the soldiers without supporting the strategics of the war as a whole. I admire the courage and skills of the German aircrews of 1940, even if they were flying under the banner of a crazy greedy dictator. I admire our aircrews who kept flying through the German night despite horrendous losses to strike the targets they were given by Churchill and Harris, but I condemn Churchill and Harris for considering centres of civilian population to be valid targets for fire-bombing. I support the British troops fighting and defending in Iraq, and I'm proud of them, although I think that Tony bLiar should never have sent them there.

Some people seem to have a very polarised viewpoint. There is a middle ground between love-and-flowers Liberals and unilateralistic (right-wings? Is there a better term?)

The most important thing here is that you have to know weather the FA was cute or not.....Cute girls can get away with almost everything with me...

Latest resources

Back