In-house SIC programs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Prof. ATP

Our company is beginning an in-house SIC training program for 135 IFR passenger operations in King Airs. Do other companies do this, or do they send SICs for simulator training? What have your experiences been? Are there any pitfalls to avoid?

Our motive is to help our inexperienced pilots (mostly new CFIs) gain enough experience to be insurable as captains. It used to be that our pilots got experience flying piston freight, but those days are gone. We prefer developing talent in-house over hiring outsiders.

[Yes, I read the thread about SICs flying with passengers on board.]

[Yes, we have discussed logging with our POI.]

[Yes, we are trying to save some money by taking advantage of our in-house expertise (I have 29 years of college teaching experience).]

As long as it is in your FAA approved training prgram, it is good to go

I hope your not planning on charging the FO's for the training program or making them pay for block hours for the privilage of flying a King Air.

rk772 said:
I hope your not planning on charging the FO's for the training program or making them pay for block hours for the privilage of flying a King Air.

No way -- they'll be paid.

pilotyip: The Feds are being picky, because we have never used the SIC program in our training manual. They want more detail than it contains, ie, aircraft-specific lesson plans.

Look at the program that Air Net has, they have an approved program to put FAA approved SIC's in Baron and C-310's. If you give he Fed's a good reason for needing the SIC and a training program that puts them to use as a crewmember under the guidelines of part 135 it should be doable.

every company I have been with trained SIC's in house. Either in the aircraft or some sim and the aircraft. It was all required crew member stuff.-kingaira90

We have a SIC program that allows us to do just that. Our chief pilot put a training program together and got it approved by the POI.

All of our SICs go through the same FlightSafety training the PICs do. The only difference being the checkride. We have an in-house training program for our Beech Baron, but we use FSI for all other aircraft. Our FSDO will not allow more than one training program (or training provider) for each type of aircraft. This seems to be something that is coming from HQ and has been handed down to the POIs over the last year or so.

Prof. ATP said:
Our company is beginning an in-house SIC training program for 135 IFR passenger operations in King Airs. Do other companies do this, or do they send SICs for simulator training? What have your experiences been? Are there any pitfalls to avoid?

Our motive is to help our inexperienced pilots (mostly new CFIs) gain enough experience to be insurable as captains. It used to be that our pilots got experience flying piston freight, but those days are gone. We prefer developing talent in-house over hiring outsiders.

[Yes, I read the thread about SICs flying with passengers on board.]

[Yes, we have discussed logging with our POI.]

[Yes, we are trying to save some money by taking advantage of our in-house expertise (I have 29 years of college teaching experience).]
When I flew Charter my initial SIC King-Air and Lear training was all in-house... Even my King-Air PIC was in house... My Lear PIC was in house as well, my type was given by a DPE with a Fed on board... My first FSI course was a Lear Refresher...

Not that I am saying this is the way to do it, just saying that it isn't all that uncommon...

Latest resources

Back