Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

In addition to Per Diem, crews receive up to 4 catered meals per day at no cost to th

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

GlorifiedCabbie

Netjets has up to 4 meals a day? We have Options pilots that are having their expense reports returned because they bought their sandwich at one place and their Starbucks coffee was purchased less than 15 minutes later!

Crew meals are ordered through the company, so the company is paying the caterer directly and we typically don't see how much they are spending. If we order more than two crew meals in a day then our per diem is considered taxable income and we have to pay taxes on it (something like 6-8 dollars for the day). Additionally we can go on receipts when flying internationally instead of taking per diem, there are meal cost limits but they are higher than the per diem would be.

Well one of the benefits we have is not having a limit on the cost of a meal. We can only have 3 meals per day paid by the company. There is no problem having a $50 steak, but I have heard there are pilots that spend over $100 without a problem also. I guess it all depends where you are at.

Keep in mind, also, that the definition of "meal" is pretty broad, depending on the caterer and what they want to provide for what the company pays. It might be a nice steak with hand-made sides (rarely), or might be a single frozen breaded fish patty thrown in a box with a scoop of translucent fruit out of the Sysco bucket. I've gotten both, and in the case of the latter, it might take two "meals" to make an actual human-size meal.

Beats a sharp stick in the eye, but I'd much rather get 90 minutes free and go get what I actually want to eat!

Latest resources

Back