Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

1Speedbird

Help please,
I have to do a paper on ATC delays and what can be done now and in the future to help.
I was hoping for some suggested links on statistics,reports and articles.
Thanks for any help.

I posted this in another section but no luck yet.

I think you could put together a pretty good debate on the current state of the system. NATCA's webpage might be useful and/or they might even send you some stuff if you ask. The FAA is claiming that there are plenty of controllers to handle the workload, however every time I fly, there are controllers handling multiple frequencies, making phone calls, and doing all the other work that goes on behind the scenes. I'd start with contacting someone at NATCA via email and go from there.

I think we need to decrease this frequency BS. Too many airplanes that only have 50-70 seats (lots of em empty) clogging up the system. Start imposing min seat rules and slots at peak times at the airports with the worst delays.
I agree with the previous poster about controllers having to do too much at times. I've been at major airports where the same guy is running clearance, ground, and tower all on his own. Sometimes hard to get a word in - can't imagine how he keeps it all straight.

Not really ATC....Yet, but the new privatized Flight Service stations seem to be a disaster.

Talked to a buddy the other day that called to file and get a brief and a release from an uncontrolled field. Got some guy sitting 1500 miles and 10 states away that had no clue where the airport was. Gave my buddy a briefing for an airport 2 states away. Took about 45 minutes to sort out something that should have taken 5.

God help us if the rest of the ATC system goes private.

Free Flight
Satellite based tracking
Hardware to prevent "blocking" transmissions
Privatization of the ATC system
Pilots with more than 250 hours
Get rid of EWR, JFK, or LGA

The next magic bullet to fix the airspace system woes seems to be RNP approaches. This is - almost - what the old MLS system was supposed to be. The only approved vendor for the system right now is Naverus, Inc. from Seattle. They have been in the news a lot lately so it should be fairly easy to google some good information.

Good luck

No matter how efficient ATC is they still can't land more than one aircraft on a runway at a time. The limiting factor for the foreseeable future will be the number of runways at most major airports.

Raise the landing fees and only charge one rate at the most congested airports. This would encourage bigger planes with less frequency. It would further reduce the economics of RJs.

Latest resources

Back