Impressions of the E170: Thumbs Up!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

On Your Six

I had to reposition for a flight last week and I flew on a MidAtlantic E170 to ATL as a PAX. I was very impressed - it should not be considered a regional jet by any means. My thoughts as a PAX:

Positives:
1. Two-by-two seating and yet feels like an Airbus (not cramped like CRJ/ERJ)
2. Huge windows for the PAX - do not have to bend your neck like CRJ
3. Roomy overhead bins - no problems with carry-on bags like in CRJ/ERJ
4. Very well lit in the cabin at night
5. Two lavatories in front and aft
6. Great acceleration on takeoff - nice and zippy
7. Fantastic flight deck layout for pilots - nice and wide cockpit
8. Big galley up front
9. Very comfortable leather seats with ample leg room - no space problems
10. "Big airplane" feel - no comments about size from PAX like on CRJ/ERJ (even CRJ-700/900)

Negatives:
1. Lav up front was very narrow (not good for 95% of US population which is obese)

So, I was very impressed overall. I think this airplane (along with the E190) will be a big hit because it retains the "big airplane" feel that all CRJs (including the 700 and 900 - I have flown on both) and ERJs lack. It seems like a mini Airbus inside and outside and I think the PAX are not so disturbed about flying on it vs. the standard regional jets. Seriously - the CRJ-700/900 can't even compare to the E170 for PAX...

I think that if JetBlue puts entertainment systems in the E190s they will be easily comfortable for PAX - even on very long flights because the cabin is so comfortable. I would actually go out of my way to fly on an E170 in the future because of the comfort factor.

Yes, I know that the pay for the E170 guys is insultingly LOW and continues to lower the bar for everyone else... That being said, given the downward salary trends in this business, if you have to fly something at embarrassingly low pay, the E170/190 wouldn't be a bad ride at all...

Good review.

What do the ALG and PDT pilots who have transitioned from the Dash 8 think about the E170? How's that transition from analog to super EFIS - how do you like flying the E170?

He wasn't talking about me... I am an adonis. (not an ANUS)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Captain X said:
Are you calling me FAT?!
Not fat it's just your head is so much smaller than the rest of your body.

:eek: :D

Jobear
Greasing my hips to get into my seat

i have to agree with the initial reviews. iv'e been deadheading on them a litle bit lately and i must say that as a 6-3 fata$$, not only can i wear my hat while standing upright (apart from normal gorilla stance) and not hit the ceilling, but my posterior fits nicely in the seat with some room on my sides. (22" seat widths) I'm tall and theres good legroom, so if you get a seat in front of you where theres noone there, you can actually stretch your legs allt he way out in front of you and rest your feet on that bar under the seat up front, tily your seat back. and get a rather good nap in without your knees hitting that seat in front or your legs at funny angles. I have yet to use the $hitters in front or rear. i always thought they should have hand grips next to the seats to hang on while either caught in turbulence or when working hard on that disagreeable dinner from last night.

once they figure out how to fly those things reliably (teething with any new plane and things are getting better all the time...) itll be a very nice ride...i just hope its a durable plane for the long run.

Airpiraterob said:
...i just hope its a durable plane for the long run.
Well, you can hope in one hand and sh!t in the other and see which gets filled up first.

Embraer has always made, continues to make, and will always make the cheapest, flimsiest throw away aircraft on the planet. No way in he!! anything they make will ever be confused with something that is "durable for the long run".

I beg to differ. I regularly fly Brasilias that have in excess of 40,000 hours that are doing just fine. It's all about maintenance.

Fly Safe.

i as well. was flying 110's with 50,000 cycles+ on them and they were still pretty stout. getting the parts on the other hand........(any aircraft made outside the usa is not required to have parts support once production ceases)

Latest resources

Back