Impact of Mesa's injunction on Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

~~~^~~~

I'd like to get thoughts on what impact Mesa's injunction on Delta's management of Delta Connection flying is likely to have on the Delta / Northwest merger.

First, the injunction is a strong indication the Court finds merit in Mesa's case. An injunction is effectively putting the verdict ahead of the trial. The Horse ahead of the Cart. Injunctions are very difficult to win and Courts do not simply hand them out to anyone who asks.

Second, SkyWest / ASA and probably Republic / Chq / Shuttle have contracts which are either bankruptcy proof, or more restrictive than the Mesa contract.

Third, it is believed Comair's jets are the only RJ's that can now be parked without restriction.

Fourth, the DC9 is a large RJ that costs much more per seat mile to operate than the CRJ700/900.

Fifth, the Delta MEC has been silent on the issue of Compass to the best of my knowledge. It is my assumption they will be against any form of one list, as has been past practice.

• Will Delta park RJs? If so, how?
  • Would Delta park its' own new $21,000,000.00 RJs?
  • Will this put even more pressure on Delta to park DC9s?
  • Is Compass a priority for the the NWA MEC?
  • Any guess as to how this new wrinkle is going to be ironed out?
  • Should new hires be looking for jobs, instead of Mesa pilots?

Last edited:
^^^^

I don't disagree with you. But it is interesting that you admit Delta pilots should be looking for jobs because NWA's DC9s are more likely to get parked.

NWA was planning on replacing them with RJ's. Delta offered a reprieve, but that looks like it is falling apart. Overcome by events as Occam likes to say.

So now, when NWA's airplanes get parked, Delta pilots should hit the street.

Come here, fishy fishy fishy....

Figured you'd bite. Although, it is an honest question.

^^^^

I don't disagree with you. But it is interesting that you admit Delta pilots should be looking for jobs because NWA's DC9s are more likely to get parked.

NWA was planning on replacing them with RJ's. Delta offered a reprieve, but that looks like it is falling apart. Overcome by events as Occam likes to say.

So now, when NWA's airplanes get parked, Delta pilots should hit the street.

Come here, fishy fishy fishy....

Figured you'd bite. Although, it is an honest question.

Relax, i tell you all the time put the drama down. I was just poking at you since if you leave i might get a seniority bump. MGMT has their job to do and we have our job to do not only to fly our planes but to protect our jobs. Until both groups figure that out and start working together there is nothing YOU or I can do about it. relax :beer:

I believe Comair was going to taking some future hits (parking aircraft) because of the merger/oil prices, but nothing to shake the foundation. Now, however, I think Comair's "foundation" may be at risk.

Delta has to park aircraft and the biggest target would be the 50 seat RJ. Mesa was to be the largest of the regional targets to get this done. With that in question, or maybe out of the picture, look for more of Comair's 50 seat aircraft to come into focus for cuts.

Comair continues to hire and those plans have not had a chance to change ... yet. Contrary to what some believe, most of this hiring is do to a perception that Comair was to get someone else's flying in the near future (a very small part). The first time Comair has ever been proactive on anything. I believe that perception may change in the coming weeks with the results of this injunction.

Another question ... did Delta really feel they had the upper hand on this? Or was this a hope or a dream that they could drop their mess known as Mesa? I would like to think that the Delta legal team is not this ill prepared and, at the least, would have thought this through over lunch before trying to terminate a carriers contract. Just thinking out loud.

Since scope muddied the waters the wrong guys get furloughed way too often... I hope that doesn't happen here.

For those not in the know- what's the injunction Mesa won-- i was really hoping they'd go away.

...they will sell Compass

i emailed the union about that and they said as of right now mgmt has no intention of doing that. They like keeping the profits in house. We shall see.

And selling them would give them a profit also.

I think most airlines like to keep there profits in house. But when there's a money crunch who knows if the need of fast cash outweighs the need for long term cash.

Lets not jump the gun. First it was an injunction. Look at each sides arguments. Fact is that Mesa had the most compelling case. They stated (It is probably truth) That if this contract was voided they would cease to operate. Because of this the judge ordered the injunction so that they would continue to operate until the case is decided. It is quite standard in this situation.
It does not change the fact that Delta will probably win the case. It just keeps Mesa in business long enough to fight it.

Latest resources

Back