IMAX movie: Fighter Pilot, Red Flag

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Filming

They filmed that during the Aug 03 Red Flag. Mt. Home F-15Es was there for the first period when they did a lot of the air to air filming and we, Lakenheath, were there the second period which is why you see a lot of MO jets flying and a lot of blue (492nd) name tags in the mass brief. (I was deemed to old and crusty to be filmed so was given a back row seat in the alternate briefing room--which was fine as it took many takes to get the thing right so the dudes in the big room were up and down a lot).

Scrap,

I was down there as well with the Prowlers. You guys (Raptors) do some amazing work, would love to see behind curtain. Thanks for keeping us in the game on several occasions. Beers on me if you're ever in the Whidbey Island area...

Bingo - thanks for the kind words. I enjoyed working with you guys as well. I'll take you up on that beer in the near future!

I just finished Red Flag two days ago and I was the said "downed pilot" during the CSAR exercise. I was driven out to the specific area, evaded for approx 5 hours, and was picked up by SOF in Humvee's at the appropriate pick up point. Sometimes they have a chopper pick you up, sometimes they don't...

Hope this helps.

What criteria do they use to pick the guy who is shot down?

Is it the guy they feel who would most likely get shot down in a real combat situation and would probably benefit from some CSAR training?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I did some of the flying for the filming for this movie, they did ask us to do some stuff that wasn't really realistic, but was pretty cool. They tried to make it as real as possible. The movie concept was really less about Red Flag than it was a recruiting tool for the Air Force. I think it turned out pretty cool.

What criteria do they use to pick the guy who is shot down?

Is it the guy they feel who would most likely get shot down in a real combat situation and would probably benefit from some CSAR training?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Holy crap, Instructordude said something funny. Burn, Scrap, Burn!

I was part of "American Fighter Pilot" back at Tyndall in the late 90s. I chaffed at some of the stuff that got put out then...

However, I still get folks who ask me about it...even though it lastest only 2 episodes on CBS. I thought TOP GUN was unbelievably cool when I saw it before I was a military pilot...now I sort of puke every time I see it. I think its all a matter of perspective. To someone who doesn't know the nuts and bolts of how things work...it is still good press. Its a bit mickey mouse, however, to those in the fold.(However...I do believe that all you Navy guys showering together after a tough mission wasn't something I remember the recruiters pushing when they told you about getting those Wings of Gold...)

I was part of "American Fighter Pilot" back at Tyndall in the late 90s. I chaffed at some of the stuff that got put out then...

However, I still get folks who ask me about it...even though it lastest only 2 episodes on CBS. I thought TOP GUN was unbelievably cool when I saw it before I was a military pilot...now I sort of puke every time I see it. I think its all a matter of perspective. To someone who doesn't know the nuts and bolts of how things work...it is still good press. Its a bit mickey mouse, however, to those in the fold.(However...I do believe that all you Navy guys showering together after a tough mission wasn't something I remember the recruiters pushing when they told you about getting those Wings of Gold...)

So your Telling me that Pensacola Wings of Gold and JAG were not realistic in terms of how life is in the Navy?

Latest resources

Back