IMAX movie: Fighter Pilot, Red Flag

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

tlax25

I just saw this movie the other day and saw something I thought was odd. In the last 15 minutes or so of the movie, they show a pre-flight briefing. During the briefing it appears that one pilot is randomly picked from the auditorium to be "shot down" behind enemy lines. The pilot leaves and in the next scene in the movie they show the "shot down" pilot parachuting from a helicopter, simulating being shot down. The rest of the blue force has to organize a rescue, while the pilot has to avoid capture.

My question is this: Would the chosen "shot down" pilot actually be required to parachute from a plane or helicopter for this simulation, or was this just part of a movie script? It seems strange that they actually made the guy jump from a plane instead of just inserting him into Red territory by flying him there in a helicopter and dropping him off. Any thoughts?

All around I enjoyed the movie. Not sure how realistically it portrays Red Flag, but the air to air scenes were pretty stunning. Thanks,.

I took my boys to see that movie, and they liked it (4 and 7). I went in with high expectations, because Red Flag can be pretty exciting. The movie proved that most any production the Air Force endorses ends up sucking. Kind of embarrassing, but I suppose its the same for cops watching cop shows and docs watching hospital shows.

That movie was funny. I know several people that appeared in the movie. I flew AWACS for 10 years and the scenes they show in the back end of the E-3 are incredibly fake. First of all the MCC in the movie is wearing pilot wings instead of ABM wings and the images of screens are cool looking computer generated 3-D images. Not anything even close to what we have on there. They really took some creative liberties when they made this movie.

I just saw this movie the other day and saw something I thought was odd. In the last 15 minutes or so of the movie, they show a pre-flight briefing. During the briefing it appears that one pilot is randomly picked from the auditorium to be "shot down" behind enemy lines. The pilot leaves and in the next scene in the movie they show the "shot down" pilot parachuting from a helicopter, simulating being shot down. The rest of the blue force has to organize a rescue, while the pilot has to avoid capture.

My question is this: Would the chosen "shot down" pilot actually be required to parachute from a plane or helicopter for this simulation, or was this just part of a movie script? It seems strange that they actually made the guy jump from a plane instead of just inserting him into Red territory by flying him there in a helicopter and dropping him off. Any thoughts?

All around I enjoyed the movie. Not sure how realistically it portrays Red Flag, but the air to air scenes were pretty stunning. Thanks,.

I just finished Red Flag two days ago and I was the said "downed pilot" during the CSAR exercise. I was driven out to the specific area, evaded for approx 5 hours, and was picked up by SOF in Humvee's at the appropriate pick up point. Sometimes they have a chopper pick you up, sometimes they don't...

Hope this helps.

I just finished Red Flag two days ago and I was the said "downed pilot" during the CSAR exercise. I was driven out to the specific area, evaded for approx 5 hours, and was picked up by SOF in Humvee's at the appropriate pick up point. Sometimes they have a chopper pick you up, sometimes they don't...

Hope this helps.

Scrap,

I was down there as well with the Prowlers. You guys (Raptors) do some amazing work, would love to see behind curtain. Thanks for keeping us in the game on several occasions. Beers on me if you're ever in the Whidbey Island area...

No, he doesn't jump out of a helo. He's either driven or flown out to the desert and dropped off. Ideally he's picked up later in the day by a chopper after a CSAR exercise. I say "ideally," b/c about three weeks ago one of our bros spent 2.5 days out there. WX was a problem. He had some snake-eater types with him, so there was no danger of dying. Pain in the a**, though.

That sucks beyond belief.

Usually at Air Wing Fallon they grab a dude walking to his jet, to be the CSAR survivor. Hope he has his spins memorized, or his survivor card on him.

I got to do it once, was pretty cool. Helo ride through the mountains at midnight at 200', I'd rather not do that again.

Nobody loves a helicopter until they need them to get them the hell out of wherever they got themselves into...

You Fu(k up.....we pick up.

Former C130 LM...HH60G Gunner in waiting.

Scrap....what is your min runway in the -22? Interested in an airshow? How long you been with the former RIC folks?

Latest resources

Back