Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I'm sittin here thinking just how sharp I am...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Competitive jockeying and sharp bargaining practices!

or Thugs? Bullying?

You make the call....

I'm sharp.... I'm really really sharp!
You are a Marine that is why you are so sharp

Competitive jockeying and sharp bargaining practices!

or Thugs? Bullying?

You make the call....

I'm sharp.... I'm really really sharp!

I'm the under assistant Union Busting man

I am all for sharp bargaining.

I am all for sharp bargaining.

That's great, but bargaining is only effective when it is backed by leverage. Leverage is obtained through backing your demands with consequences for the other party - they can be positive or negative.

The law actually greatly ties the hands of a unionized pilot group when it comes to "negative consequences" for a company not bargaining in good faith. A write-up campaign will be viewed by a court as a change to the status quo and likely enjoined by a judge. Same goes for other annoyances like a "sick out" or general slowdowns. So, within the legal framework provided under the RLA other than proffering for binding arbitration (a huge gamble, that the company may not agree to anyway), the only option is the nuclear option - a full blown, lawful, strike. No one really wants to exercise the nuclear option - but in order for it to remain viable as a tool, the pilot group most show that it is capable of exercising its option.

The root of your negotiating committee's power is derived from the pilot's ability to withhold their services in a lawful manner. If you're for "sharp bargaining" you should back your representatives and present a united front - demonstrating resolve and willingness to use a lawful strike as a tool if necessary. It may be the strong message needed to accomplish the job and prevent a strike in the first place.

When is competitive jockeying effective?

Almost sounds like an attempt at an Olympic sport developed by Vivid Entertainment.

That's great, but bargaining is only effective when it is backed by leverage. Leverage is obtained through backing your demands with consequences for the other party - they can be positive or negative.

The law actually greatly ties the hands of a unionized pilot group when it comes to "negative consequences" for a company not bargaining in good faith. A write-up campaign will be viewed by a court as a change to the status quo and likely enjoined by a judge. Same goes for other annoyances like a "sick out" or general slowdowns. So, within the legal framework provided under the RLA other than proffering for binding arbitration (a huge gamble, that the company may not agree to anyway), the only option is the nuclear option - a full blown, lawful, strike. No one really wants to exercise the nuclear option - but in order for it to remain viable as a tool, the pilot group most show that it is capable of exercising its option.

The root of your negotiating committee's power is derived from the pilot's ability to withhold their services in a lawful manner. If you're for "sharp bargaining" you should back your representatives and present a united front - demonstrating resolve and willingness to use a lawful strike as a tool if necessary. It may be the strong message needed to accomplish the job and prevent a strike in the first place.

I think the hiring boom will cause massive departures from NJA, which will incentivise management to give us a better deal. Airline jobs, corporate too are opening up. I am all for a United front, but a couple of the tactics will have undesired results, in my opinion. Disagreeing with tactics doesn't mean I don't want sharp vigorous bargaining. We all want a better contract. By the way, I think the delaying by the company will result in a better deal for us, in a stronger negotiating climate for us. The economy and pilot shortage will be stronger in the future, it seems to me, strengthening our hand. NJA would be better served by doing a deal now. We will be better served by drawing out the bargaining process.

Latest resources

Back