• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

'I'm not qualified to land plane,' pilot tells passengers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
you have to be very careful when talking to pax since they all are wusses. you can't say t- storms you have to say chance of rain. istead of fog. low clouds. he did the right thing and people complain. if he you have broke the rules and bent a plane then people will complain. as soon as the pax step on the plane they get the right to comlain. good times.

He definitely did the right thing by turning back. He just should have used a little common sense when conveying to the pax why they were turning back.

He could have said the weather was too bad but then the passengers would have asked why other airlines were landing, when they found out later. Telling the truth seems to be the best policy since people will find out eventually, and if they think it's weird, well those are the regs and he is obligated to follow them.

I remember when I started at the commuters in 96. I was brand new on the Jetstream and they crewed me with a Captain that had about 10 hours in the Stream. I think the SOP said someone in the cockpit had to have 50-100 hours in the airplane, cant remember. So we had to cancel the flight.

It was in Joplin, MO, so a small terminal. I mean the size of a Blockbuster store. I remember coming through the terminal hearing our gate agent saying over the PA that we had to cancel the flight, because the crew didnt have enough experience!!! The next flight, they changed Captains and I had pax asking if we had experience, because the last crew didnt.

Latest resources

Back