Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I'm interested in your guys input. Aviation and relationships. And ATC Career?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Go with your heart. If you truly want to fly, fly. Other things will follow. One thing that is important is to have some one who backs your committment. You do not want to have regrets, or feel you are sacrificing yourself for someone else. You are so young, there is so much ahead of you.

As far as relationships, find someone who really wants you to have what you want (and vice versa).

The thing that I hear most about pilots and relationships is that if a male pilot finds a gal he likes, he should buy her a house and never talk to her again because that's how it'll end up anyway.

For female pilots, well I guess you'll get someone to buy you a house.

Let me just put in my two cents....yeah, good money, benefits...etc....but the govt is no cake walk. The FAA can be a tough agency to work for! There are thousands of people in CTI's now and thousands waiting to get hired. The FAA is in the process of throwing the majority of the new hires into ARTCC's with a predicted washout rate of about 40%. If you want to get involved now, know its not gonna be a cake walk. Learn what you have to learn, do what you have to do and don't be a statistic. IF you know you can make it you can, you have to have confidence to get through what lies ahead. 100% academy passrate practically. Get to your facility, and they'll wash you. The FAA isn't playing games. They are laying off controllers for the dumbest things like stupid medical certificate issues, yet the sup's and atms....no problems there. FAA staffic and mangement, excellent place to be in the FAA's eyes, but remember Maid Marion Blakey hates us and so does GW. Bush

why get married anyway? it's just gonna end up in divorce. 'lease' a woman. 18-21...preferrably. once a year (say...on her b-day) trade her in for a new one.

it's the wave of the future :D

Yeah it sucks. I broke up with my girlfriend for a job overseas, and I still regret it. Made that mistake twice now. Damn chicks, Ill tell ya they are dangerous for your mind!! women.... - sigh -

It's tough, but you can have your cake and eat it too.

If you want a stable job, you could get a degree in something that pays (ATC, egineeering, business, etc.) and keep your hand in aviation flying a Caravan, King Air, PT Charter, etc. Of course, you'll be working two jobs.

Here's another thing:
Who are the rich dudes who fly around in P-38s or F-86s? They're doctors, lawyers, etc. You could have a happy home life, earn huge stacks of cash, walk past some skinny, bald dude sleeping on an FBO couch, step into your Mig-17 and do an airshow routine. Is that really such a bad fate?

Finally, you just got socked on a CFI ride by the FAA. Some FSDOs are worse than others. In fact, I hear rumors that MKE FSDO fails ALL their guys (somebody check me on that). Don't worry about this affecting your career or anything.

I aced my exams passed my checkrides, and, professionally, I'm a spectacular failure! I'll wager a dollar that you'll be able to buy and sell guys like me inside of five years.

Lrjtcaptain said:
There are thousands of people in CTI's now and thousands waiting to get hired. The FAA is in the process of throwing the majority of the new hires into ARTCC's with a predicted washout rate of about 40%.

Not sure where you got your numbers, but they aren't nearly that high. I'm guessing there are around 1500 people MAX waiting to get hired. As far as who's in school, the last GAO report I read (okay, it was a couple of years old) said that there was about 800 students graduating every year (or in the program) from the CTI schools collectively. That report was rather informative; did you know some schools only have 25 students in an ATC graduating class and some have like one or two (namely Hampton University or whatever its called)? My school is number four in terms of graduation numbers, and our capacity was limited to about 40 per year. Yes some like Beaver and Purdue have upwards of 100 a year (but not much more). Remember, there are only 13 schools in the country that train ATC. That 800 is sure to increase, but I don't think it will increase to the point the schools are graduating MORE than the FAA is forecasted to hire every year. Right now, most people in the programs have *wanted* to be there. Now, with the publicity the job is getting, you are finding people solely attracted to the pay. They still have to do three things to graduate from the CTI school: 1) actually graduate, 2) Pass the AT-SAT, and 3) Get a reccomendation for hire from their school. In other words, schools shouldn't be letting "schmucks" get hired.

Second, that 40% washout may have to do with that direct hire program. Right now, they are taking about 100 people off the street at each of the centers, giving them the AT-SAT, and sending 60% or so right to OKC. I'd believe a 40% washout with a system like that; I don't quite believe a 40% washout of people with a solid aviation background.

Latest resources

Back