I'm a new Khaki wearing corporate pilot that needs fashion help

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TexasPilot

Just started flying contract and need some wardrobe help. I am used to wearing the same old airline uniform everyday and need some ideas for my new casual gear.

For now I am wearing Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts with Haggar Cool 18 Khakis. What all are you guys wearing? Keep in mind I am 29 and don't want to look like a 60 year old in pleats. Any ideas on nice pants that are cool and don't need dry cleaning?

What about not looking the same every time I fly a client? Or do they not even notice?

Thanks

LOL!! good question. Can you wear polo's or do have to wear button downs? If polo's find some 100 % poly golf tec polos, $20 at Kohls. Thet hold color well and dont wrinkle. As far as pants find some flat front, comfort-fit Hagars (Kenneth Cole?) they have a couple inches of elastic in the waist, so if you over eat at the buffet you wont have pressure points digging into your side as you sit for hours. Also, khaki's = brown shoes, black shoes are for blue, dark blue or black slacks.

Ive never had the boss notice what I was wearing, doesnt mean he didn't but, unless your boss is a style freak. Clean and ironed is usually good enough.

Last edited:
What the hell does this mean..."Keep in mind I am 29 and don't want to look like a 60 year old in pleats."?

"Clean and ironed is usually good enough."...they's a label on the pants that says whether you should dry clean or wash and "tumble dry".

Keep in mind I am 29 and don't want to look like a 60 year old in pleats. Any ideas on nice pants that are cool and don't need dry cleaning?

Well, I'm not a clothes-whore...

If you're 29 and the only thing standing between you and looking 60 is a pair of pants and a button up then you got bigger problems... :blush:

We dress business casual and most of us keep jackets or sports coats on the rack should one be needed.

Our dress policy simply states that we are to look neat and professional in appearance.

Going Biz casual has never caused any of us trouble with the bosses. The only specific items prohibited are skirts and dresses for female crew member, for safety reasons.

Jos. A Banks has oxford shirt product called "Traveler". They are extremely wrinkle resistant and hold up well. They aren't cheap, but don't look like crap after a day of flying.

Cool thanks guys. I have copied some other pilots and went to the Ralph Lauren store and bought a bunch of polos. Learning how to iron.

How about pants? I love the Haggar cool 18's but hope they are dressy enough. Our boss just wants us to wear khakis and a polo. Any advice on some nice Khakis? Even at my airline job I would spend over $100 on some nice wool pants that looked good.

How about re-using a days cloths? At the airline I would wear the same pants and shirt for 3 days. Think the boss will notice if I get two days out of my Khakis? Shirts would be different every day of course.

How about re-using a days cloths? At the airline I would wear the same pants and shirt for 3 days. Think the boss will notice if I get two days out of my Khakis? Shirts would be different every day of course.

As long as they are clean and presentable.

Any good boss who travels will understand this. Changing shirts is more important that pants.

Besides if your on an extended overnighter, one-hour dry cleaners are a dime a dozen in big cities.

Any pants that don't need dry cleaning will look like a Jiffy Lube uniform after a few washings.

Corporate is about how you present yourself. Sure, you "can" wear polos and dockers. If so, I hope you like your current job because the guy who gets the better job will have made a better impression.

All IMO, of course.

TC

We buy our uniforms at Joe Banks. We wear the Travler SS shirts in summer and the LS dress shirts in the winter. Not the best quality stuff but it is always on sale. Navy blue pants.

Latest resources

Back