Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

s3jetman

This is probably a dumb question i just cant remember
When does the ILS line become effective i thoght it was lower than 1000 and 3 miles but i am not sure

ILS Critical Area

AIM 1-1-9 k 2 (a)

800 and 2

Is the pilot automatically expected to hold short when Wx is less than 800/2 or will tower/ground advise?

It is ATC responsibility to tell the pilots to hold short of the ILS critical area.

http://www2.faa.gov/ATPubs/ATC/Chp3/atc0307.html#3-7-5

3-7-5. PRECISION APPROACH CRITICAL AREA

a. ILS critical area dimensions are described in FAAO 6750.16, Siting Criteria for Instrument Landing Systems. Aircraft and vehicle access to the ILS/MLS critical area must be controlled to ensure the integrity of ILS/MLS course signals whenever conditions are less than reported ceiling 800 feet or visibility less than 2 miles. Do not authorize vehicles/aircraft to operate in or over the critical area, except as specified in subpara a1, whenever an arriving aircraft is inside the ILS outer marker (OM) or the fix used in lieu of the OM unless the arriving aircraft has reported the runway in sight or is circling to land on another runway.

PHRASEOLOGY-
HOLD SHORT OF (runway) ILS/MLS CRITICAL AREA.
See also AIM http://www2.faa.gov/ATPubs/AIM/Chap1/aim0101.html
k. ILS Course Distortion

1. All pilots should be aware that disturbances to ILS localizer and glide slope courses may occur when surface vehicles or aircraft are operated near the localizer or glide slope antennas. Most ILS installations are subject to signal interference by either surface vehicles, aircraft or both. ILS CRITICAL AREAS are established near each localizer and glide slope antenna.

2. ATC issues control instructions to avoid interfering operations within ILS critical areas at controlled airports during the hours the Airport Traffic Control Tower (ATCT) is in operation as follows:

(a) Weather Conditions. Less than ceiling 800 feet and/or visibility 2 miles.

Last edited:
I asked the SLC tower last night and they said it's the PILOT'S responsibility to hold short of the ILS whenever wx is below 800 or 2. Go figure. Everyone else I've asked said tower or ground will issue the hold short instructions.

umkay said:
I asked the SLC tower last night and they said it's the PILOT'S responsibility to hold short of the ILS whenever wx is below 800 or 2. Go figure. Everyone else I've asked said tower or ground will issue the hold short instructions.
I predict that when it becomes the pilot's responsibility to keep track of the weather and PUBLISH THE ATIS, then it'll be the pilot's responsibility to know when the weather requires holding short of the ILS Hold line.

Until then - - how would he know?

My company has stated that the Controllers will tell us. This also applies to Approach Hold Short lines such as the one at BNA for runway 31.

The AIM states the controllers are to issue the hold short instructions at a controlled airport during operating hours. It further states that an aircraft is not authorized into the critical area under certain conditions. These are the responsibility of the pilot.
Apparently the MU2 (HP) at MDW are exempt from this. Even after clearance to taxi and remain short of the critical area, all three cruised right past the ILS hold short line. The weather was 400 & 1 with several aircraft on appproach.

Not one of the MU-2 pilots.....but...

What runway? 31C? or 4R?

Obviously it wasn't 22L. I can't even remember the last time we used 13C.......

I don't think that it is possible to have 4 MU-2s inside the ILS critical area at 31C at the same time (there just isn't enough room). Same for 4R.

I'm trying to remember the night -- we had weather two weeks ago (300-1 @ 4R and a/c started to go miss around 10pm, however, there are no MU-2s at that time at MDW).

Latest resources

Back