Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
so here's a question. I was up at CMH a few weeks ago in my 172. it has an ILS critical area hold short line. they said ILS rwys 28L and 28R were in use, but the weather was not IFR. do i have to hold short of the ILS critical area hold short line when the atis says "ILS rwy XXX in use" or will the tower tell me to hold short of that line? just to be safe, i held short of it each time and just said "twr, NXXXXX holding short of 28L at Charlie" or whatever it was. when do i need to hold short of the ILS critical area line?

usually when weather is above 800' ceiling and vis 2 miles your ok to proceed. if ceiling and vis are lower, you may proceed if there isnt an aircraft on the ILS between the FAF and the runway, if there is, then hold until the aircraft is down or reports having the runway in sight.

if your at a controlled field, the ground controller will advise you to hold short of the critical area.

aucfi nailed it. When in doubt, always hold short!

ATIS will broadcast that the ILS critical areas are in use

cforst513 said:
so here's a question. I was up at CMH a few weeks ago in my 172. it has an ILS critical area hold short line. they said ILS rwys 28L and 28R were in use, but the weather was not IFR. do i have to hold short of the ILS critical area hold short line when the atis says "ILS rwy XXX in use" or will the tower tell me to hold short of that line? just to be safe, i held short of it each time and just said "twr, NXXXXX holding short of 28L at Charlie" or whatever it was. when do i need to hold short of the ILS critical area line?

According to Flight Safety, you do not have to hold short unless told to do so by the controller.

Pedro said:
It's all in the AIM!
HA!!! jokes on YOU. i don't know how to read...

and pedro, i'm over 200 hours now :)

Unless they tell you "hold short of the ILS 28L/R Critical area" you hold short of the RNWY HS line. But as said before when in doubt, just ask, ATC will tell you.

Latest resources

Back