IGI: How do I regain "currency"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dhc8fo

Feeling dumb, but can't find an answer. What does one have to do to become a current Instrument Ground Instructor once they haven't been instructing for awhile? If you know, can you reference so I can look it up?

Thanks!

61.217 Ground Instructor recent experience requirements.
The holder of a ground instructor certificate may not perform the duties of a ground instructor unless, within the preceding 12 months:
(a) The person has served for at least 3 months as a ground instructor; or
(b) The person has received an endorsement from an authorized ground or flight instructor certifying that the person has demonstrated satisfactory proficiency in the subject areas prscribed in 61.213(a)(3) and (a)(4), as applicable.

OK, not feeling as dumb as I thought because I did find that.

I can't do #1 until I get #2. So I have to get a sign off and then I am good to go again.

Concur? (and thanks!)

Concur. Just did this myself. Find a CFII or another IGI, basically have them give you a oral exam on the required material until they are satisifed that you can teach instruments again and have them sign off your logbook in the back. No big deal. Then within the next year (and every year after) document at least 3 months of IGI training, and you won't have to get a sign off again.

Latest resources

Back