Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
T

TDTURBO

After filling up in Knox, Indiana I departed VFR to pick up my IFR on file to Nashville and was given a full route clearance begining with "Boiler waypoint" as the first fix. I asked myself, what the hell is "boiler waypoint"? It's not a VOR, it's not an intersection, airport, NDB or anything else for that matter on my low altitude enroutes. So I asked for a vector while I sorted things out and got it. Several minutes later after a handoff I asked the controller and he said it was 18 DME off of the Boiler VOR on the 250 radial, not sure exactly if that was the radial but you get the idea. He said it was new and probably not on my chart. I just left it at that and continued on direct after asking for it. Anybody else run into "waypoints" in a clearance?

Last edited:
What equipment suffix did you file? Did he mean fly direct to the Boiler VOR - BVT? Did he use the term waypoint? Can't tell by the language you used in your post what transpired, but there is a Boiler VOR.

Sorry for the confusion,

Despite filing /G I was given a full route clearance anyway, no big deal since that happends allot around Chicago. I am aware that there is a Boiler VOR since this is well within my stomping grounds but found confusion when given an obscure waypoint as my first fix, especially since she, (contoller), called it "Boiler waypoint".

Isn't this dangerous and potentially very confusing to have both a Boiler waypoint and a Boiler VOR so close together? Also, the second controller I talked to said Boiler waypoint is not the VOR.

Last edited:
I would have it it was critical, I just got a vector and was handed off soon after. My original question should have read has anyone been given a "waypoint" of anykind as an initial fix on a clearance in the midwest?

Nobody? Really? I'm the only one, ever?:confused:

Last edited:
considering u filed /G they can give u a GPS waypoint, however i checked my IN/OH plates for lafayette and i couldnt find a boiler waypoint that may or may not correspond to the VOR. i assume they meant for u to proceed direct to a gps waypoint, thoguh im not sure if boiler is a waypoint...

Probably way off base here - and I'm not sure where Knox, IN is - but could Boiler have been local slang/lingo for some VOR in the Lafayette (sp?), IN area where Purdue University is?

Yeah,

The other night coming out of Fairbanks we were told to fly direct GLOWS intersection and intercept the airway. Normal departure instructions for that runway are runway heading to join. We don't nomally have GLOWS in that route in our GPS so there was a brief scramble as we added it. Of course, they tossed that in just as we werre taxiing onto the runway.

It does happen, just not very often.

regards

Latest resources

Back