• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ifr question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sounds like a lot of work. I found an old pair of safety glasses and put electrical tape over them, leaving an open space for viewing.

$20 for Foggles? That's 1/8 of an hour of multi time!:)

I actually once saw a neat product, but it may be more trouble than it's worth. It consisted of a transparent orange (blue filter) film that went on the inside of the cockpit glass. The student then wore a pair of Blue (Orange filter) Glasses. This blacked out the cockpit for the student but not the instructor. Neat idea even if it is a pain tin the but.

I've heard of the method that Brian is talking about. Was it mentioned on the Cessna Pilot Center CD Rom course? It sounds like it would be very effective.

For once I agree with avbug, it is legal and it is often used. We did it at my regional when I was doing my PC ride. Of course only my half of the windshield was covered up.

Last edited:
Not to comment on the safety or advisability of it, but the POI at my company used to do checkrides with the checkee's windshield completely coverd with a piece of cardboard. The opposite side windshield was left uncovered of course. That method was discarded along with the POI.

Regards

Note that covering half the windshield with a chart, a sock or hood, or cardboard doesn't fulfill the requirement of the FAR unless the safety pilot has full visibility forward and to BOTH sides. Otherwise, an observer to supplement the blocked field of vision for the safety pilot, is required. It's great that examiners and POI's can see out "their side," but that only addresses traffic coming from that side.

A safety pilot is not aboard to take control in the event of pilot error on the part of the person flying by reference to instruments. The safety pilot is there for safety, and to watch out for traffic. It's legal to fly with the cockpit encased or the windscreen blanked out, so long as the safety pilot can still do his or her job. If a big piece of cardboard is blocking the field of vision for the safety pilot and a supplementary competent observer isn't available, it's not legal, and it's NOT safe.

It must be done under the right circumstances, or it shouldn't be done at all.

Latest resources

Back