IFR over water

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hammertime

The regulation to fly over water on an IFR flight plan requires the aircraft to have certified approved flotation gear on-board UNLESS you are within power-off gliding distance from shore.

So ... down here along the coast of Florida, several of the Atlantic airports (Vero Beach, Daytona, Melbourne) have approaches to the west runways that put you 6-8 miles out over the ocean. I've never been asked if we have flotation gear by a controller or ARTCC nor would I consider abandoning an approach because we don't, however out of curiousity, is it therefore illegal for a typical Cessna or Piper to fly these approaches? No way it's going to glide to the beach at 1600 feet when you're five miles out over the water.

Thanks.

Toss a lifejacket on board and your legal. (don't forget your pax as well). I used to have the same situation going to Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket. I just tossed a couple LPs in the back just in case.

In all reality, it only matters when you end up ditching and the FAA politely asks, "Where were your required flotation devices?"

Swim Safe

hammertime said:
The regulation to fly over water on an IFR flight plan requires the aircraft to have certified approved flotation gear on-board UNLESS you are within power-off gliding distance from shore.

So ... down here along the coast of Florida, several of the Atlantic airports (Vero Beach, Daytona, Melbourne) have approaches to the west runways that put you 6-8 miles out over the ocean.
Thanks.

Something to keep in mind, the winds hardly ever call for these runways to be used. Usually you will be landing eastbound anyway.

(149+ out of 150+ hours out of MLB)

They were certainly landing to the west at VRB the other day. VOR/DME 29L has you at 1800 feet nine miles from shore and the FAF is four miles from the shore with an MDA of 540 feet. Neither one would allow you to glide to the beach without power. So any verdict? Legal or not? Nothing about exceptions to the rule in the FAR however I can't imagine you are not allowed to fly an instrument approach procedure because you don't have flotation gear on the aircraft.

What regulation are you refering to? It would not matter if you are VFR or IFR. I believe 91.205 is the only 91 reg. that references having flotation gear beyond gliding distance and it is for hire aircraft. So I guess the real question is do your rental aircraft during flight instruction have to have these. It is a good idea anyway.

91.509 (a)-(e)

For some reason I thought the recquirements were "for hire" only, guess its because I have never flown over water for extended periods of time. Read the reg and it will tell you cut and dry.

91.509 is only referring to Lafe and Turbine powered Multiengine Airplanes. For normal operations it only is required if "for hire".

Latest resources

Back