IFR lost comms and alternate airport

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
rubicon789 said:
If you consider lost comm an emergency, which I do! Fly the ILS all the way to the ground. Remember under and emergency you can deviate as you see fit from any FAR. However if it is a non-prec. approach, then go on with the stuff mentioned before.

Think of it like this too; your flying a ME a/c and loss one engine. Weather at you place of intended landing is 600RVR, obviously way below Cat I mins and you are only 10 mile from the FAF. What do you do? Are you going to dick around with all this crap or are you going to get down. Just keep'em centered and fly the needles. If at night leave your landing lights off or you won't see the runway. You'll see the ground trust me. Just focus, relax, and land the plane.

My .02

Me thinks ye should have a radar altimeter for that one.

Couple the autopilot to the approach. Pull the throttles back just a little. But not to much. Turn your c.d. player up (on your favorite song), Close your eyes for 1 minute precisely. Open your eyes and theres those wonderful approach lights. Land the airplane and go have coffee with the rest of the ERAU grads. lol

My handheld transceiver saved my bacon yesterday. I'll never fly without it again.

Latest resources

Back