Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I remember this question

Yeah,

This darn question was on my intrument checkride. I remember it. Basically from what I gathered, you can file IFR to a VFR airport (an airport that has no IAP). However the weather conditions there must be VFR. Well obviously, otherwise you can't land. I was unaware that you were required to file an alternate even if the conditions at your arrival airport are severe clear or VFR. However I don't know everything. Cancellation of IFR while airborne is probably a really great idea considering the availibility of a phone at an airport with no instrument approach. Airports with out instrument approaches (brown airports on the low altitude charts), are generally pretty small fields. Alot of them don't even have fuel. So you better be packing your cell phone if you stay on that flight plan all the way. You may have trouble getting your clearance on the ground at some of these airports as well, so it could easily be said that you could have trouble canceling IFR on the ground at these facilities. You may also be breaking regs if you continue. I would recommend cancellation of IFR in the air and proceed VFR under part 91 to your airport.

Its funny when you think about the "Visual Approach" but that truely is an IFR operation even though its conducted in VMC.

Interesting Stuff
j.

There is no legal requirement to file an alternate going IFR into a VFR airport as long as the weather will allow a VFR descent from the MEA or MVA. Be careful of just calling the forecast weather "VFR" (>3000', > 5 miles). In mountaineous terrain you may need significantly higher weather or CAVU. Of course I would always recommend if not listing an alternate at least have a plan of action to divert to another suitable airport. Also be careful with cancelation of your flight plan in the air. Technically 135 can not cancel a FAA flight plan in the air unless they have a company flight plan in place. This is your insurance policy if something goes wrong short of the runway or even on the runway. You will not be "breaking any regs" if you continue on your flight plan all the way to landing (Part 91) assuming weather or other operational limitations are adhered to. 99% of the time it should be no problem canceling IFR in the air with the airport in sight (within gliding distance, etc.) just be aware of some of the scenarios and pitfalls that might come up. Always leave yourself an out. Fly safe.

VFR Airport alternate is required by law

Filing an alternate is required if flying IFR to an airport without a published instrument approach procedure. Its also highly recommended if the only IAP at the destination is based solely on GPS. Neither of these are weather dependant.

Maybe this will clear it up:

14 CFR 91.169 (a) says that you must include all the information for a VFR flight plan and an Alternate airport, except as provided in paragraph (b)

Basically this says that you always need to file an alternate unless paragraph (b) is used.

14 CFR 91.169 (b) (We'll deal with other than helicopters here) says that paragraph (a)(2) (The alternate airport thingy) does not apply if:

Part 97 prescribes a standard instrument approach procedure to the airport of intended landing.

and

weather reports indicate within 1 hr of arrival time weather will be at least 2000' ceilings and at least 3 sm visibility

Basically an alternate airport is needed unless 91.169 (b) is met.

Latest resources

Back