• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JediNein

No One Special at all
Greetings,

This one from the "huh?" files:

Setup: IFR non-precision approach into "D" airport in the mountains, break out at the MDA to see the runway, but not in a position to land. Start circling with tower approval. Ragged ceiling means a missed is very likely. As we're about to enter a cloud and go missed, tower launches a slower IFR departure along the same path as the missed approach course.

What in the ATC book specifies the circling versus departure separation?

Thanks!
Jedi Nein

You should PM HoldWest.

JediNein said:
Greetings,

Setup: IFR non-precision approach into "D" airport in the mountains, break out at the MDA to see the runway, but not in a position to land. Start circling with tower approval. Ragged ceiling means a missed is very likely. As we're about to enter a cloud and go missed, tower launches a slower IFR departure along the same path as the missed approach course.

Thanks!
Jedi Nein

Hi Jedi,

Was it a VFR or IFR tower? By VFR I mean does the tower have any kind of authorized radar service (by that I mean if the tower is authorized to issue vectors...very different than simply having a D-BRITE in the cab)?

If the tower has IFR radar service either on the field or via a remote to another facility (say terminal radar is provided by another facility, like CHO has from Richmond approach), I'd say that it was probably OK, depending on what the geometry looked like.

But if it's a VFR tower, with either no radar coverage at the surface OR not authorized to issue vectors (which is why you get "suggested headings" from some towers) than yea, I'd say there might have been a technical loss of separation, because the controlling agency will not normally issue a release to the tower until the inbound actually lands.

I flew out of CHO before they put the remote ASR out on the mountain (which is remoted to Richmond Approach). CHO isn't really mountainous, BUT it was technically non-radar, and Washington Center was the controlling agency and it was a VFR only tower. They were supremely anal about releases, and you wouldn't get released until the inbound actually landed, or the missed approachs or departures ACTUALLY showed back up on center radar (about 3-4 thousand feet or so) and had checked in with the center. When it was busy, it could take forever to get out of there IFR.

With Richmond running the show, you had better coordination, and the ability to lauch departures with peeps on the approach.

If you have a serious question, I'd make an annonymous call to the controlling facility (not the tower) to see what the real deal on IFR releases are at that airport. From your description, it sounds like you were well in the right, but I'd file a ASRS anyway to draw some attention to a potential problem.

Nu

JediNein said:

Sounds like the tower considered you "landing assured" and launched the departure.

What was the reported weather, and do you think the tower controller had a clue that you might miss the approach from the circling maneuver?

JediNein said:
Greetings,

Thanks!
Jedi Nein

Your story is a little spare on detail. Did you miss or not? But the one I'm guessing was in use is:

7-2-1. VISUAL SEPARATION

c. Nonapproach control towers may be authorized to provide visual separation between aircraft within surface areas or designated areas provided other separation is assured before and after the application of visual separation. This may be applied by the nonapproach control tower providing the separation or by a pilot visually observing another aircraft and being instructed to maintain visual separation with that aircraft.​

PHRASEOLOGY-

VISUAL SEPARATION APPROVED BETWEEN (identification) AND (identification),

and for departing aircraft,

(departing/succeeding aircraft) RELEASED YOUR DISCRETION.

NOTE-

Separation of IFR aircraft before and after application of visual separation is an IFR control function (Approach/Departure/En Route). A nonapproach control tower by accepting authorization for visual separation becomes responsible for ensuring that separation. Separation requirements also apply to VFR aircraft when IFR, Class B, Class C or TRSA separation is prescribed.

Latest resources

Back