• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

IFR contact approach question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
OK lets say the reported weather is below VFR mims, but you have the runway in sight because it's clear on the approach side of the airport. You say runway in sight and ask for a visual, but the controller can't give it to you because of the report. You ask for a contact approach and this clears him and puts it all on you. He can not suggest it. He can give it only if you ask.

HEADWIND

Correct me if I'm wrong but the biggy here I was told is that you can continue visually without cancelling; in less than vfr conditions.

If you cancel in less than vfr (technically imc because of cloud clearances or vis, but not 'in a cloud') can get you busted, and this has happened.
But if you do the CA, you are still on an ifr clearance - and you can legally find your way in visually during poorer conditions.

I had an instructor explain it best to me one time: "Legalized Scud Running"

For that reason, never EVER take a Contact Approach if the weather is poor (why you'd take one to begin with) and you're not familiar with the surroundings or area.

I used a contact on a hazy winter day into an airport near Chicago. We were getting vectors for the VOR approach which took us over the airport. We were about to turn outbound when we saw the airport, requested a contact approach and just chopped it and dropped it. Works great.

RichardRambone said:
I used a contact on a hazy winter day into an airport near Chicago. We were getting vectors for the VOR approach which took us over the airport. We were about to turn outbound when we saw the airport, requested a contact approach and just chopped it and dropped it. Works great.

That seems to be about the only scenario where it is worth doing: decent ceiling and visibility between 1 and 3 miles. I've done contact approaches following the localizer because I knew I would see the airport, but didn't want to hassle with a full procedure turn.

User997 said:
I had an instructor explain it best to me one time: "Legalized Scud Running"

For that reason, never EVER take a Contact Approach if the weather is poor (why you'd take one to begin with) and you're not familiar with the surroundings or area.

Couldn´t agree any more. I would only take a contact approach if I´m very familiar with the area.

The way geronimo did it sounds safe too, go down to MSA AND follow the procedure.

Basically you want to be intimately familiar with the area...being able to navigate to the runway by streets,buildings, the McDonalds on the corner...etc...

In other words, I wouldn't do it.

Flechas said:
I would only take a contact approach if I´m very familiar with the area.

A good attitude, and the reason that (as has been mentioned, but perhaps not forcefully enough), no controller will offer or assign you a contact approach-- it has to be your idea. Same thing for Special VFR clearances-- the feds recognize that both procedures usually take local knowledge to accomplish safely, so they're only available upon pilot request.

Sorry, I should really link to something if I mention it. Thanks Flibmeister. Great reading for the porcelain throne.

Latest resources

Back