• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Skyrunner

Dark side of Pikes Peak
Hey Ya'll,

Hypothetically, if you were on an airline interview board and got to ask any question, what would it be?

Why did you pick this type of question and what kind of answer are you looking for?

Do you like technical questions in interviews?

Just interested,

Gracias,

SR

Two questions

1. Why do you want to work for our company?

2. Why should we hire you instead of the other well-qualified applicants who are interviewing today?

Why should we hire you?

Why should we hire you as opposed to someone else?

Here is this question translated to English..
"Who are you and how are you a good match for our company?"

That's my favorite question. I used to ask this question as an interviewer for Boeing. It is a great way to get to know the candidate's preparation, sincerity, personality, communication skills, charisma, knowledge, ability to handle pressure, etc...
There is no right or wrong answer. The candidate's answer should let the interviewer learn about the candidate's commitment, preparation, understanding of company culture, ability and experience in teamwork, ability and experience in problem solving, sense of humor, intensity desire to work for the company, etc...

You are on an overnight with our company and you are in your hotel room. You look out the window and notice an NFL cheerleading squad is down by the pool drinking margaritas.

Do you close the curtains?

Do you keep looking out the window?

Do you go down and sit on the other side of the pool?

Do you go down and talk to them?

If you go down, do you order a drink?

Do you order what they are having, or do you get a beer?

Do you like technical questions in interviews?
Yes, they are great to hide the question behind the question.
Besides checking technical knowledge they can be used to check for something totally different, such as attitude and people skills.

Tell me about a time when… questions can also be very effective.

Apologies to John Cleese

"What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?"

2 MORE

What does the Flux Capassitor do?
How many gigawatts does it take to power the Flux?

If they missed these two questions on the spot, I would follow with..."OOOK.....WHY DON'T YOU GO AHEAD AND PACK UP YOUR STUFF AND ........AHH....WE'LL LET YA KNOW..." :D

Past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior. Think about how you want your employees to conduct themselves, their mindset, yadda-yadda. Craft questions that will give you that information, sift out the B.S., throw in some tech questions and there you have it. Actually, a good employment app and job histories will do about 1/3 of your screening for you. An H.R, person that is able to glean things out of those is invaluable.

But that's just my opinion.

UAL78

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back