• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If you knew then what you know now

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wouldn't worry about it too much at 500hr...

Sure, the majors are suffering bad right now, but its completly cyclical and a BOOM will be back sooner or later. but dont worry, you have years on your side. 3-4 years ago people were lauging a NetJet pilots b/c everyone was going to United and Delta. Now that U and D are dying everyone thinks it would be just great to be a NetJets or corporate pilot....

To sit back and say "I give up on the majors and want to be a fractional pilot" is just a little crazy...

I like corporate flying, Its an easy fun job if you can find a good one.....at this point I would not trade it in, but I do have a few friends at majors who missed the furloughs and the money they make I will never see in Corporate (nevemind fractional!!)...and someday money really WILL matter to you!

Just keep in mind - The single best job in this business is a very senior major airine pilot.

Go the path you think you would ENJOY.....if flying a 777 and strutting through the terminal is your goal, go for that major job.

Just never try and predict the future of this business!!

good luck!!

Never mind 10 years ago, If I knew what I know now, I would have started flying 30 years ago, when I really wanted to. Flying for a living has got to beat holding someone's hand because their email doesn't work, or getting a phone call at 6 AM because the voicemail greeting isn't what the boss thought it should be, or having your cell phone ring on the flight line at OSH, just before the B-1's pass by, because some jerk deleted a file.

No matter what you are doing, if you are flying and making a living at it, it beats ALL the alternatives.

OH, and I have about 450 total, 310 multi, and have paid for each and every one of those hours. To have someone else paying for it is a REAL plus.

I would have started working at that major airport FBO a whole lot sooner. The job opportunities and contacts I picked up from pumping fuel were great.

If I had only gotten that job when I started school instead of when I finished.

Thanks for all the replies. I realize this topic has been broached before, but I couldn't figure out how to do search specifically for it.

At any rate, I have a ways to go, and appreciate all of you taking the time to lend your thoughts. I will no doubt freight-dog it to build hours, but the end game was what kept me wondering.

I don't need to strut by terminals in Captain's garb to be happy, just a reliable job with some different locales. Which seems to be Fractionals/Corporate in general. If I don't get to shoot that Vail approach someday, I'll be bummed. :)

Part 135 is nice for the jet time, but...

Even though I don't miss the pay, I sure miss the fast-paced efficiency of a hub quick turn at the regionals. I miss having a dispatcher too.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back