Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

labbats

Zulu who?
If you knew then what you know now, would you all take the routes chosen? I don't mean would you be a pilot or not, we all would regardless, but I find myself becoming less interested in the holy grail of flying for the Majors.

My interest is leaning more towards NetJets or corporate jets of some kind. And even less interest in the Regionals with the more I hear and learn about them. So I pose the question to those who have been there before me, what path would you take?

I always thought I was going into corporate aviation when I was in flight training. I was not going to be a Freight Dog, Regional Pilot, etc. But, guess what the first job opportunity was when I was instructing? Night freight and my first taste of turbine equipment- great experience. Then the Regional hiring craze hit and I got caught up in the idea of making it to the majors. So currently I am a CRJ Capt and I love my job. Will I do a career here? Don't know. I am very happy with my career choices to date. Now, I was hoping on flying a G-V for a winery in Napa Valley by this time :D but I am content- for now. I kind of think that I have ring side tickets as the Major Airline industry works out its problems.
To answer your question, I would recommend getting on with a Regional Airline and upgrading to Captain. Then I would send out resumes to the Fractionals and corporation that interest you. Remember, each is a different type of operation and what may appeal to you on paper might not in practice! I wish you the best in a successful career

If I knew then . . . . .

My experiences prove that I am not the poster boy for professional aviation training and career planning.

For one thing, I would have started flying ten years before I did. I probably would have struggled, as I did later, but I would have been the right age and would have been better positioned for a commuter job. That was my goal; I was never majors meat.

For another thing, when I realized I wanted the career, I would have summoned up the guts to get a loan, stop working, and go to a school like ERAU, taken all the aviation courses they offer, finished up my multi ratings in a "real" training environment, and have earned a second B.S., in Aero Sciences. At that point, I might have gotten an instructing job at Riddle, just as I did, but I would have made better contacts that I could have put to use.

Those are just a couple of things I would have done had I known then what I know now.

I am corporate and I am happy where I am. The majors will always be that "maybe" for me. In many ways it is hard to beat this job. I fly 2-3 days/wk. I have all major holidays off and most weekends. The draw backs are long-term job stability and pay. At this time I think that is evryone's problem. A good corp job is tough to beat. Leave all avenues open and don't give up.

I would've busted my A$$ on my golf game from about the age of 18 months or so, just like "El Tigre." Now, 38 1/2 years later, I'd hopefully own a P-51. A two seater so I could put my golf clubs in back. 'Nuff said.

P.S. I'd also be first in line when Wal Mart, Microsoft, and Starbucks went public. The P-51 wouldn't be so lonely sharing the hangar with a T-38.

To answer what you really meant: Show up to fly tomorrow and the next day. The only way you can be ready when opportunity knocks is to be current, qualified, and ready to go. If you keep a positive attitude you'll find the right job. There are many, many different types of flying jobs out there. I've personally listened to major airline Captains whine like little girls and listened to bush pilots and flight instructors go on about how fortunate they are and how much they love flying. There's a job out there for you. It might not be my dream job or that of other members of this board but if you wake up every morning wanting to do it then it's the job for you.

Last edited:
labbats said:
If you knew then what you know now, would you all take the routes chosen? I don't mean would you be a pilot or not, we all would regardless, but I find myself becoming less interested in the holy grail of flying for the Majors.

My interest is leaning more towards NetJets or corporate jets of some kind. And even less interest in the Regionals with the more I hear and learn about them. So I pose the question to those who have been there before me, what path would you take?

I've pretty much stayed the path that I had planned out when I was still working on my Commercial Certificate... Once I realized the military wasn't going to happen for me, my chosen route was Corporate, I didn't know exactly how I was going to get there but I knew where I wanted to be... I haven't looked back since, I love it... A lotta luck, a lotta hard work and a lotta persistence has paid off...

We've actually done this thread a couple of times in the last year or so, but I guess there's no harm in saying something twice. If you don't get enough answers to suit you, you could run a search for the previous threads.

I would go into something that would allow me to make a decent living, sleep in my own bed seven nights a week and have myself a Pitts/RV4/Skybolt in a hanger at the local airport. Oh yeah and have enough money to fly that sucker a couple of hours a week. I have owned my own airplane and to me, nothing beats being able to go fly for no reason and on my own schedule. I love airplanes and flying, not necessarily being an "airline" pilot.

regards,
8N

Absolutely. Had I taken any different routes, or taken any different turns, or made any different decisions at any point along the way, I would not be where I am right now in my life. And I don't mean just my professional life, because every other aspect of my life would also be affected.

I wouldn't change anything at all, since everything around me in my life right now, professionally and personally, is everything I could possibly hope for and more. You can't ask for any more than that.

8N, are you flying for a living now or did u at one time and left the industry to fly for fun? (Sometimes that crosses my mind) Thanks.

My father, the Eastern striker, gave me this career advice: "no matter what decision you make, you'll be wrong." :eek:

(He still taught me how to fly, though...)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back