Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

2LT

No idea what's goin' on.
LINTHICUM, Maryland (AP) -- A small plane crashed in a residential neighborhood just east of Baltimore-Washington International Airport Friday morning, killing the pilot, an airport spokesman said.

A search of the plane found only the pilot, and no one was injured on the ground, said Maj. Greg Shipley of the Maryland State Police.

Nothing that the fuselage landed at the front door of a house, Shipley called it "nothing short of a miracle" that no one else was hurt.

Mike Doyle, 53, said the plane roared low over the neighborhood before it crashed about a block from his house, which is not in the usual flight path.

"He was probably 100 feet over the ground -- so low it rattled the house," said Doyle, who was getting his three children off to school when the plane went down.

The plane took off from Philadelphia and was headed to BWI when it crashed about 7:25 a.m., said airport spokeswoman Cheryl Stewart. She said it was an MU2 "high-wing" turboprop plane.

It was carrying a cargo of financial documents, airport spokesman Jonathan Dean said.

The plane crashed in front of a home less than a half-mile from the nearest runway. The wreckage and a nearby pickup truck both appeared to be covered in firefighting foam.

The FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board were en route to the scene to begin an investigation, Dean said.

Atlanta-based Epps Aviation registered the plane with the Federal Aviation Administration. A man who answered the phone there Friday morning said the company would not comment. He declined to identify himself.

The pilot's name was Tom Lennon. All I can give you is third hand knowledge, but I was told that whitnesses said the plane was yawing violently to the left and right before it completely departed flight and crashed. It sounds like there was some sort of catastrophic failure . One thing I can say for certain is that Tom was probably one of the best sticks out there, and all of us that knew him are going to miss him terribly.

God speed Tom,,,see ya on the other side

On March 25th, 2004 a friend of mine crashed in an MU2. The cause of the crash is still undetermined and will be for a while to come .When something like this happens, it completely blindsides you. Takes you by surprise.
I am finding it hard to find the right words, but to Tom's family... I pray that God wraps his loving arms around you while you grieve.
To Tom's friends... I would say... Dig deep into your memories. Find those stories that made Tom special to you and share them with everyone else, especialy his family. Those stories will tell his family about a person that they didn't know, but more importantly, it will show them how their Son/Brother/Husband or Dad, affected lives on a level they were unaware of.
In essences you will be giving them a part of Tom they did not get the chance to know.

Yup sucks. I flew that run. I flew that airplane. I flew with Tom.

He will be missed. God Speed.

The Baltimore Sun today had almost a full page devoted to him and to his reputation as a good pilot.
They also, however, had a whole page devoted to questioning the safety record of MU2's and of Epps Aviation.

Needless to say, I pray that Tom was prepared.
I hear what you are saying, that's why I keep a clean pair of undershorts in the glove box. You don't want to have to go to the ER wearing dirty shorts.

Some of you guys picked a helluva time to be smart asses. You should learn when to keep your unwanted quips to yourselves. I don't think someone losing their life is a laughing matter. I think what was meant by "being prepared" was life insurance, a will, savings etc...for his family. I personally do not know the pilot, but it sounds like he left a family behind.

To those of you who actually worked with the pilot, if your company has started a fund for his family or does so in the near future, please feel free to PM me so I can give you my contact information. If a fund is in place, I would be happy to contribute as long as I can speak someone from his employer so I know it is legit. Hate to think of it, but judging from the maturity level consistently displayed on this board, someone might actually be sick enough to try and take advantage of this situation.

if your company has started a fund for his family or does so in the near future, please feel free to PM me so I can give you my contact information.
You must be new to this game sonny...companies don't start funds for pilots that are in crashes.

Not new, just human. If it were one of my friends at my company I would do it. Are you saying you would not?

Latest resources

Back