Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If you had the chance to jump to cargo would you?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

comair1048

A Dispatcher
If you had the chance to jump to cargo (ABX Air) would you from a passenger airline? Just want to hear your thoughts

rumor is pay is better.
QOL is worse. The main operation time is nights.
It is less susceptable to market swings like pax haulers have. ie,911.
If I had a do over...Id think about it, nah..no FA's to chase.

RVSM said:
rumor is pay is better.
QOL is worse. The main operation time is nights.
It is less susceptable to market swings like pax haulers have. ie,911.
If I had a do over...Id think about it, nah..no FA's to chase.

RVSM you are crazy the FA's are important though...Yeah I am looking for stable workplace something Comair is no longer...QOL is alot worse everything at night....

The industry that we are in is a giant swing. It has its ups and downs. Currently we are on the bottom of the down side and starting to come out of it. I would either look at ABX, Fed Ex, or UPS. If passengers are in your blood then start looking at CAL. They are stable and are getting more stable day by day. From what I have heard Polar and ATlas are not worth it at all. One last place to look is in the Biz jet sector (i.e. Net jets and Flex Jet)

SeaChicken said:
The industry that we are in is a giant swing. It has its ups and downs. Currently we are on the bottom of the down side and starting to come out of it. I would either look at ABX, Fed Ex, or UPS. If passengers are in your blood then start looking at CAL. They are stable and are getting more stable day by day. From what I have heard Polar and ATlas are not worth it at all. One last place to look is in the Biz jet sector (i.e. Net jets and Flex Jet)

Good insight Sea Chicken......Yeah too bad for our way of life

Doesnt ABX still require an ATCO Certificate (Air traffic control tower operator)?

But hell ya, I would in a heartbeat

After reading everyone's replies, I feel compelled to add my 2 cents worth. I started with a small cargo operator and fled as soon as I could. While small operators are known for pushing legalities and the customers sometimes don't know which end of the plane is the front, it was a valuable learning experience.

With customers beating you up on the price, freight larger than advertised or heavier than advised, management Monday-morning quarterbacking every decision you had to make on the night shift or holiday (while they were home having dinner with THEIR families), I wouldn't go back to cargo for anything.

While it's true that boxes don't talk back, passengers aren't as bad as dealing with the management in most cargo operations.

Besides, what is the turnover rate for these large cargo ops anyway?

usairbus01 said:
After reading everyone's replies, I feel compelled to add my 2 cents worth. I started with a small cargo operator and fled as soon as I could. While small operators are known for pushing legalities and the customers sometimes don't know which end of the plane is the front, it was a valuable learning experience.

With customers beating you up on the price, freight larger than advertised or heavier than advised, management Monday-morning quarterbacking every decision you had to make on the night shift or holiday (while they were home having dinner with THEIR families), I wouldn't go back to cargo for anything.

While it's true that boxes don't talk back, passengers aren't as bad as dealing with the management in most cargo operations.

Besides, what is the turnover rate for these large cargo ops anyway?

You dont think that Cargo is more stable then Passenger? Who did you work for?

Cargo is only as steady as the economy. Most of the time it gets busy at the end of the month, or near the end of a quarter. It was just beginning to come back when I left 2 yrs ago.

With the some of auto industry in the tank, a trickle down effect (anyone remember Reaganomics) will slow other suppliers and manufacturers. I realize that there are other industries who utilize cargo ops. That was only my experience.

Latest resources

Back