• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If you commute on SWA ....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't want to "burn the house down" at all. What I want is a little preferential treatment from my company. You know, the one I bust my ass for every day. All I want is a seat in the back without worrying that my bag will be with me when I get to work.

Gup

Cracks me up. On every other thread about every other airline, you get the "usual suspect" SWA guys busting in on their high horses, droning on about how "my company would never do that" and "thank goodness I work somewhere where this would never happen." You're still blue collar workers, same as everyone else here. It might be time to wake up, especially with your contract negotiations and the erosion of some of your cost advantages, possibly making it much less cushy over there. I, for one, am enjoying the spectacle.

FWIW, I'm also hoping you get a gigantic raise.

Last edited:
Call me old school, but I don't care who or what's name is on the aircraft registration. When a captain signs his name to the logbook, it's his friggin airplane. A jumpseater should have the courtesy to introduce himself and ask for a ride. Thankfully most pilots get this.

As far as DH'ing in the jumpseat, I still feel that seat belongs to the captain. If he asks me to ride up there to get another revenue on, I will. If he wants me in the back so he can get someone commuting on the airplane, I sit in the back.

As far as the new procedure at Southwest, I think I will do as the rest of the pilots who may ride on you guys will do. Follow your company's procedure by boarding when I am called, and then introduce myself to the crew to ask for a ride.

Best of luck over there in getting the procedure changed to whatever best suites your operation.

I don't want to "burn the house down" at all. What I want is a little preferential treatment from my company. You know, the one I bust my ass for every day. All I want is a seat in the back without worrying that my bag will be with me when I get to work.

Gup

Exactly. Wonder if the company will re-think this when the commuting guys check in late cause they have to go to baggage claim or worse, call off the trip cause their bag is missing.

Cracks me up. On every other thread about every other airline, you get the "usual suspect" SWA guys busting in on their high horses, droning on about how "my company would never do that" and "thank goodness I work somewhere where this would never happen." You're still blue collar workers, same as everyone else here. It might be time to wake up, especially with your contract negotiations and the erosion of some of your cost advantages, possibly making it much less cushy over there. I, for one, am enjoying the spectacle.

FWIW, I'm also hoping you get a gigantic raise.

You also beat your dieck like it owes you money.

If you sign up to be a jumpseater with DAL, AMR, etc, when do you board? When your Group is called. If you are 21B, you sit there. Until now preboarding has been a privledge for "outsiders." Dont hate us, hate the game.
PS. Twice last week I JS'd in uniform. Both times I was told it was ok to board early.

[PS. Twice last week I JS'd in uniform. Both times I was told it was ok to board early.[/quote]

Sure, but the new restrictions start tomorrow. Your milage WILL vary.

with bussiness travelers paying a little extra I guess they don't want to jeapordize us taking their seats. You know what would work? I wonder if this has been brought up but can't jumpseaters in uniform pre board and wait in the back galley until all of the preferential passengers are done boarding? I don't care about the seat as much as stowing my crap no matter where it ends up as long as it is in the cabin.

Latest resources

Back