• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If I knew then...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1) Grab an extra cockpit trash bag and keep it in your overnight bag so you can keep you dirty clothes away from your clean ones (especially important if you work out on the road...also something you should do).

2) Don't be too sensitive and try not to get too worked up about things. Remember, the most common reason a Cpt is being a jerk is because he/she doesn't have confidence in themselves, it's not necessarily that they don't like you/think you can't fly/think you're stupid/etc...

3) Also, as you gain more experience, be patient with new cpt's. Good captains aren't born that way, they need to learn it. Remember things you saw both really good and really bad captains do and try to take from that the good and leave out the bad for when you upgrade (it will happen after you expect it but, sooner than you think).

4) Always act appropriately in public when in uniform. Do not swear, pick your nose, leave your tie loose, scratch yourself, etc... I know this should go without saying, but unfortunately some people do need to be told this.

5) If at some point you feel like you know everything there is to know about aviation, take a vacation...you've officially become dangerous. Every flight is an opportunity to improve, take advantage of it.

6) Settle any/all arguments on the ground.

7) Have fun.

Welcome to 121 operations, please enjoy your stay. Congratulations on getting the job. Where are you working?
-Blucher:beer:

ReverseSensing said:
And get shirts with a collar about a half inch too big.

I have to remember this next time I'm due for new shirts... EVERY TIME, over the past 7 years, I've ordered shirts I seem to forget and not get a larger collar size. Then, EVERY TIME I regret this decision. I keep getting fatter and fatter or something. I cant even button the top button on shirts I ordered last november.

Never ever let the union intimidate you. Do whats best for you first. Be not afraid to tell them to pound sand if you disagree with something they say. If you agree with them fine but dont be afraid to voice your own opinion. No matter what the mob mentality tries to do to you. If they try to use violence and intimidation, try to have them prosecuted under the RICO statutes.

nev-air mind said:
"If I knew then what I know now..." :rolleyes:

Any advice worth sharing for the new regional FO? I certainly believe in learning from others' mistakes!

You already made the same mistake if you're in the industry. :erm:

Bring a camera on all your flights. This way, you can post them on your blog.

...and make sure you have tool written all over you when you pose for them.

COOPERVANE said:
Stay humble, don't think you are superpilot after only 1000 hours in an RJ

Start thinking like a captain, but let the guy in the left seat BE the captain

Be polite to the FA's

Get EVERYTHING done early (paperwork/walkaround/W&B etc)

Make your captain look good

Drink lots of water. Buy some of that "drink on the go" drink powder. They split perfectly into 2 8oz water bottles

DO NOT get sucked into bitching about your job/upgrade time/pay/commuting, etc.. you knew what you were getting into (you should have anyway)

Learn everything you can while sitting in that right seat. It is too easy to sit there and defer every aspect of the flight to the captain. Learn from the good ones and integrate what you like about them into your personal style when you upgrade. Learn from the bad ones, and avoid becoming what you don't like about them.

So refreshing to see positive feedback!

Bunny

nev-air mind said:
"If I knew then what I know now..." :rolleyes:

Any advice worth sharing for the new regional FO? I certainly believe in learning from others' mistakes!

It's very easy to gain weight in this job if you're not careful. The disrupted sleep schedules, sitting around all day, little time to eat/fast food courts, etc. Try to pack a granola bar or apple or something like that in your crew bag. The salads at McD's aren't bad if you need something healthy on the go. Try to exercise (run, treadmill, go out for a walk, etc.) when you have some time at your overnights. It will make you feel better.

D'Angelo said:
Never ever let the union intimidate you. Do whats best for you first. Be not afraid to tell them to pound sand if you disagree with something they say. If you agree with them fine but dont be afraid to voice your own opinion. No matter what the mob mentality tries to do to you. If they try to use violence and intimidation, try to have them prosecuted under the RICO statutes.

Good lord, is this guy a tool.

D'Angelo said:

And be sure to shine the CEO's shoes after you wash his car on weekends.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back