Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nev-air mind

"If I knew then what I know now..." :rolleyes:

Any advice worth sharing for the new regional FO? I certainly believe in learning from others' mistakes!

know your contract
fly then grieve unless you are on contractual bedrock (and off probation)
stand your ground on contract issues
follow SOP even if your CA doesn't
don't date flight attendants (this encompasses every possible gender issue, gender combination or combination of gender issues)
show up in the lobby 5 minutes before van-time
don't do anything that can get the rest of the crew in trouble (on or off duty)
don't let the rest of the crew do anything that can get you in trouble (on or off duty)
learn something new every day (every leg if possible)
expedite if necessary, but never rush

Cardinal said:
Don't buy the long-sleeve uniform shirt. It'll just take up space in your closet.

And get shirts with a collar about a half inch too big.

Make sure you eat at least one decent meal per day, be it lunch or dinner.

Spend a few bucks and get a good flight bag and rollaboard.

The contract - know it, love it, live it.

Don't b!tch about being paid like a professional if you don't dress and act like one (ie wear the hat, iron your shirts, shave, don't curse loudly in public, etc.)

Tread lightly with crew scheduling; getting any kind of a repore with one or more could work to your advantage.

AND FINALLY

Help others out if you can with trip drops/trades, especially with family issues. Flying is your JOB, not your LIFE. Have fun!

Stay humble, don't think you are superpilot after only 1000 hours in an RJ

Start thinking like a captain, but let the guy in the left seat BE the captain

Be polite to the FA's

Get EVERYTHING done early (paperwork/walkaround/W&B etc)

Make your captain look good

Drink lots of water. Buy some of that "drink on the go" drink powder. They split perfectly into 2 8oz water bottles

DO NOT get sucked into bitching about your job/upgrade time/pay/commuting, etc.. you knew what you were getting into (you should have anyway)

Learn everything you can while sitting in that right seat. It is too easy to sit there and defer every aspect of the flight to the captain. Learn from the good ones and integrate what you like about them into your personal style when you upgrade. Learn from the bad ones, and avoid becoming what you don't like about them.

Last edited:
BoilerUP said:
Flying is your JOB, not your LIFE. Have fun!

That can't be emphasized enough.

Be nice to crew schedulers. They have a crappy job, not properly trained at all, and most of them are decent people if you're nice to them. Hate the system, don't hate the people who work there. Just don't let them push you around. Know the contract, live by it and make them live by it, just don't be mean in the process.

Bring some snacks with you. You never know when having a cereal bar stuck in your flight bag can come in handy.

probably the best advice i've read on this forum for all FO's like myself. even when you are in the majors.

make the most of it. even at a crappy regional.

COOPERVANE said:
Stay humble, don't think you are superpilot after only 1000 hours in an RJ

Start thinking like a captain, but let the guy in the left seat BE the captain

Be polite to the FA's

Get EVERYTHING done early (paperwork/walkaround/W&B etc)

Make your captain look good

DO NOT get sucked into bitching about your job/upgrade time/pay/commuting, etc.. you knew what you were getting into (you should have anyway)

Learn everything you can while sitting in that right seat. It is too easy to sit there and defer every aspect of the flight to the captain. Learn from the good ones and integrate what you like about them into your personal style when you upgrade. Learn from the bad ones, and avoid becoming what you don't like about them.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back