• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LXApilot

Owes More Than He Makes
Guys-
You are all very helpful <usually> in assisting everyone in getting a little further ahead by offering your own ideas, criticisms, and .02 on any given situation. Now I've got one, and feel free to respond. I've got about 1200TT, 250ME, 150CE550/560 and am type rated CE550 as well as CFI/CFII/MEI. Anyone have any ideas about increasing my business as a contract Citation FO or doing any piston single or multi flying? How did the other contract guys on the board build up their clientel? Does anyone think I stand a chance for getting any ferry flying or maybe flying for an aircraft broker? I have travel benefits and will go anywhere in the World for any length of time. Just wanted to know if anyone has any ideas or leads. I offer my services for competitive rates. Fly Safe~

I don't see Tony C anywhere so I'll point out that it's actually spelled "clientele". Not a big deal on a message board, but might leave a bad impression if you misspell it in a letter to a potential client.

Also, you might want to check the terms of your travel benefits. I don't know, but your dad's airline might frown on non-revving for your job. I'm sure you wouldn't want to be known as somone who jeporadizes those benefits by not following the rules.

As for drumming up business, I'm not a contract pilot, but I imagine it's like a lot of similar situations, it's a matter of getting your name out, becoming known. It would seem to me that with 1200 TT, 150 hr in type and a type rating, you'd be a fairly strong candidate for F/O work (or at least they're not going to throw your letter in the trash laughing hysterically). Send out resumes and cover letters to brokers and dealers. If you know of companies operating Citations, send them a letter saying you're available for contract work. Find captains who do contract work and let them know you're available. Seems like there's be a good chance you could piggyback on them ... somone needs a plane delivered, they contact him, he signs on, they say, hey, do you know any F/os? we need one of those too. bingo! If you do a couple of flights with a captain and do a good job, word will get around, and I'm betting much of that type of work depends on word of mouth. Of course, it's probably better not to give the captain a "stern lecture" on how to wear his uniform, that sort of thing gets around too.

Thanks

Thanks 'A Squared' I think I may try and do exactly what you recommend, and keep my uniform comments to myself. :eek: Anyway - looking at your profile I'd say you fly in Alaska. I am trying to get a few buddies to get together and split the cost of flying a Saratoga up there, it would be great experience. Any ideas on whrere to go/what to see? Just as long as I am right and you do live/fly in AK, otherwise I'd have to guess corrosion corner out of MIA - just kidding. Thanks for all of your advice. Still looking for more - "Anyone ... Anyone ... ???"

LXApilot,

A trip to Alaska would be something you'll remember. If you can put together the plane, money and co-conspiritors, DO it! Here's a couple of links to previous threads on flying to and from Alaska. There may be others

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11415

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=3497

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=27332

As far as things to do and see:

Liard Hot springs In BC along the Alaska Highway. Never been there myself (flown over it many thimes though)but I understand it's nice. There's an airstrip nearby and I've heard that the folks who run hte lodge will pick you up there.

Skagway, Haines, Juneau. Juneau is the state capitol and Skagway and Haines are smaller town with good scenery and lots of Gold Rush history.

McCarthy ... Ghost town (recovering) and abandoned turn of the century copper mine. touring the abandoned mine buildings is fascinating.

Denali national park, Kantishna, Denali.

Denali is the tallest mountain on the north american continent. It is truly impressive as it start from low rolling hills (<1000' msl) and goes right up to 20,000 ft. A awsome flight in a nice day. There is an airstrip at the park entrance which is interesting, but even more interesting is Kantishna. Kantishna is an early 20'th century gold mining district buried within Denali National Park. there's a public airstrip there, has been since the mining days. The Park Service *hates* it, because they don't own it cant can't control it, and it's right in the center of "their" park. That in itself should be reason enough for going there. :D

Chena Hot Springs Very nice resort developed around a hot springs, resort dates from the gold mining days of the early 20'th century. (do you se a pattern developing here?) Has it's own private airstrip on site and they encourage visitors.

Fairbanks. Fairbanks Airport is kind of interesting. There's transient parking in a little wooded area with campsites. FAI is sort of the Corrosion Corner of the North. Sitting around in the various operator's property in various stages of disrepair are DC-4's DC-6's a DC-7, Convairs, Carvairs (bonus points if you know what that is) C-46's The town of fairbanks isn't terribly interesting, The University of Alaska is located there. there is some mining history there, somplace in the area is a gold dredge you can tour (impressive piece of machinery if you're into that). Pike's Landing is a good spot for night life close to the airport.

Anchorage. This is the "big city" (300,000 more or less) take a walk around Lake Hood, the world's busiest seaplane base. Stop at the Alaska Aviation Heritage Museum check out some interesting old planes. Good night life in locations too numerous to mention. F-street Station downtown is a favorite with overnighting airline crew. The Millenium Hotel has a deck looking out over Lake Hood. Rate the floatplane landings over a pint of your favorite

Homer: Funky little fishing/hippy town. Beautiful Kachemak Bay. Lots of partying out on "the Spit" , a large gravel spit extending out into the bay a couple of miles. The Salty Dog is out on the spit and gathers fisherman and cannery workers (college kids on vacation)

Seldovia: Quaint, scenic, Quiet. Accessable only by boat or air, very short flight from Homer.

Deadhorse. It's grim, it's ugly, It's where the oil comes from in Alaska It's a gritty little oil town perched on the edge of the Beaufort Sea. Interesting, I suppose, if you've never seen oil fields. It ain't pretty, but it's one of hte places that makes Alaska what it is, for better or worse. You also get toe see what the Arctic Costal Plain is like. If you go, be very wary of Atigun Pass many people have dies there. It's high and it's steep and it has abrupt turns. Go only in good weather. A more benign route (but longer) might be Fairbanks, Bettles (fuel and services), Anuktuvuk pass, Deadhorse.

Barrow. I can't imagine anyone voluntarily going to Barrow, but it is the farthest North point on the North American continent. It's a native village which is overflowing with oil money. See the city busses that endlessly roam the couple of miles of streets, mostly for the purpose of creating jobs. Wiley Post and WIll Rogers died in an airplane crash not far from there, I think that htey have a piece of the airplane in the terminal.

If you're into fishing, Illiamna and Igiugig both have pretty good salmon fishing within reasonable walking distance of the airport. There are other places too. Fishing changes day to day, so it's not always good.

What sort of stuff are you interested in seeing? I'd be happy to answer (or try to) any questions you might have.

Last edited:
A Squared said:
Barrow. I can't imagine anyone voluntarily going to Barrow, but it is the farthest North point on the North American continent. It's a native village which is overflowing with oil money. See the city busses that endlessly roam the couple of miles of streets, mostly for the purpose of creating jobs. Wiley Post and WIll Rogers died in an airplane crash not far from there, I think that htey have a piece of the airplane in the terminal.

Asquared,

I don't want to live here for the rest of my days, but there is a little more to Barrow than you mention here, and it really isn't as bad as you make it out to be. Though it can be pretty bleak here in the winter time (SEPT-MAY). But there are some decent restruants, a couple of good hotels. The opertunity to aquire native artwork at reasonable prices. There is actually an accreadited community college here. A few days ago I was riding my fourwheeler down the coast and saw a small pod of Bowhead whales and a larger pod of Greys. The Grays were within 10' of the shore. We reguarly see Bearded Seal (Ugruk) and Walrus go floating by on the sea ice. Spring and fall are prime Polar Bear (Nanook) spotting. http://barrow.com/~cubplt/image001.jpg

A word of warning, if you come to the slope, leave your booze down south. Most of the villages are dry up here. Barrow is known as "damp" it is legal to possess alcoholic beverages but illegal to sell. Bootlegging is a felony. Also, if you come up here and someone offers you MukTuk, proceed with caution.

Visiting here can be a blast, living here requires a major lifestyle change. Oh yeah, be prepared to shoot approaches to mins.

Latest resources

Back