• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Ice at the tops of clouds

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's all dependent on what position the Fetzer valve is in.
You remember from your basic systems training the valve
that's downstream of the bypass line, RIGHT? So of course
a higher setting will get you less dings on your aural's.
If you are getting too many false icing alerts, any mechanic
worth his salt can remedy the valve problem with ball bearings
and a small hammer....... http://youtu.be/4prqDn7QS8I

Captz, that is fricken hilarious!!

Try reading up on Clausius–Clapeyron equation for ice formation. I used to do cloud seeding and this equation was used to determine the best temperature to seed at. If I recall it was around -11 to -15 degrees Celsius. The reason for this had something to do with the difference in saturation pressures of liquid vs ice. This should also be the temperature which will give the greatest amount of ice formation on the aircraft when flying in clouds with SLW.

Eric Pogo

Try reading up on Clausius–Clapeyron equation for ice formation. I used to do cloud seeding and this equation was used to determine the best temperature to seed at. If I recall it was around -11 to -15 degrees Celsius. The reason for this had something to do with the difference in saturation pressures of liquid vs ice. This should also be the temperature which will give the greatest amount of ice formation on the aircraft when flying in clouds with SLW.

Eric Pogo

You got it Eric,
the Clausius–Clapeyron equation is used to fine tune the Fetzer valves!

.....And the winner IS!! " Because the EAST pilots will not HONOR the NIC AWARD"!!!

Thanks for the two serious answers. I am still looking for any possible answer.

You got it Eric,
the Clausius–Clapeyron equation is used to fine tune the Fetzer valves!

Problem is, the Clausius-Clapeyron equation depends on a Fourier Transform reduction, and Fetzer valves which haven't been properly updated aren't sensitive enough to differentiate. Hence the false warning.

The solution is to fly DC-8s. They couldn't possibly care less about icing.

Because clouds are created with rising moisture and the top is as far as it can get. When there is too much at the top, it falls (rain)........

People who have any business slinging the "moron" word at anyone should always be at least smart enough to conjugate very basic words-such as the word "you." Most second-graders are able to discern the obvious and important distinction between "your" and "you're."

Of course, most second-graders are much, much brighter than your silly ass.

I still have a problem with there, their, and they're. I got when to use they're, but there and their, i can never remember.

Latest resources

Back