• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Icao Atpl

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Aug 6th, the FAA started issuing aircraft specific SIC TYPE RATINGS. It is purely an admisitrative procedure. Make an appointment with your FSDO, walk in the the airmen application filled out, your Part 61.55 signoff in your log book and sim school records (if SIC program) and voila!! Your are now a TYPE RATED SIC making it LEGAL to fly in ICAO airspace (Brazil, Europe et al).

No guarantee that FSOD will know what a G200 is though (and I am not kidding).

Some would lecture a few impressive pages about ICAO ATPL and how some nations have more differences from ICAO standards than others but at the end the conclusion is:
There is no original pure ICAO license - only national licenses (or certificates) issued by each nation.

Certificate/License in this context, is the same thing just different names used by each country.

When someone require an ICAO ATPL they usually also accept FAA ATP. The only way to find out for sure is to contact the operator and ask or even easier ask on this or other forums - if there are any pilots working there with a FAA ATP.

Just apply - go get that job if you wan't it - good luck!!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the great responses!
GB

PS. I was curious about Cathay... and recently heard that they accept FAA licenses.

Many operators are looking for experienced crew with time on type or operational experience. They don’t care too much about FAA versus for example CAA written tests which often were done many years ago. The issue tends to be what their national aviation authorities require. Outside Europe and the Americas there are many nations that accept all ICAO Licenses/Certificates. There are however some nations that are very UK based. Others like Bermuda Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) will also accept FAA. An increasing number of transport category jets are registered under agencies like DCA but based and operated in other courties all over the world.

Last edited:
The US FAA is a member of ICAO and all it's rules and regulations (mostly) EXCEPT airman certification. Our FAA certificates and licences do not meet the regulations set forth by ICAO. That rule explains the recent change requiring SIC's a SIC Type Rating.

If you want to fly in a country that use JAA rules there are ways to circumnavigate most of the written tests: have at least 1500 hrs. PIC in heavy iron flying internationally. You may then be issued a JAA license after you take the air law test BUT you are limited to fly for only that airline you got a job with. Does that make sense?

ackattacker said:
I did say "most".

You are correct... but the point is that some companies do advertise for "ICAO ATPL" but won't take the FAA ATP. If you are trying to get a foreign flying job it is helpful to have an "ATPL" in the European sense. Most countries around the world base their CAA on the European model and the FAA certificates are looked down upon. It varies quite a bit from country to country and company to company. For example, generally you can't fly in Europe with an FAA certificate, but I know someone who is flying in Switzerland on a Luxembourg endorsement of his FAA certificate... all kinds of things can be done, but it's more difficult.

FYI I have a US FAA ATP with an Icelandic validation to fly the whael currently. Moreover, I have also flown the 757 and 767 in Europe - again on validations.

Mind you, I used to have a UK CAA ATPL - now expired but still have an Iish IAA ATPL valid for another year.

I think it's called multi-tasking but it can be done if you know how!!!!:cool:

Latest resources

Back