IAP without charts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

WMUchickenhawk

I was working with my student a few days and the lesson called for some VOR tracking so I considered using a VOR approach into the airport, however I didnt have my charts with me so used the normal procedures. So my question is: In VMC under VFR, but without plates can I do an instrument approach?

yes you can, but if under atc control I would try to stick closely to the lines on the chart or they might get pi$$ed atcha!

Chickenhawk, I'll tell you something even more shocking: You could even shoot the approach IFR with no charts! (gasp!)

Under part 91, you won't find a reg that says you have to have a chart on board. You have to know it, and do it exactly as prescribed in the approach procedure, but when you shoot the same approach day after day, and you know nothing has changed, you don't need no stinkin' charts.

Just something to consider when you get caught out in the wx with no charts, or you want to do a "pop-up" approach back in.

I seem to recall something about having to have a textual description of the procedure as a minimum. But I'm too lazy to look it up.

Anyway, if you're VFR then do what you want. If you're really scared about the sky cops you can always use some weasel words like "request to fly the VOR approach course" instead of requesting the actual approach.

Get cought without a chart and they'll find something to bust you on. I've had them come on the plane and look for a specific set of jep revisions.

fyi, if you don't want to look bad in front of atc call up fss and they'll give you the complete graphical depection as well as misc data....just for that rare event when the chart flys out the window or you leave it at the office.

Latest resources

Back