Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

inline

Delta pilots:

How do you like the IAE V2500 engines on your MD90s? Are they considerably more fuel efficient compared to the P&Ws?

I can only comment from second hand conversations, as I have never flown the 90. I hear it taxis much nicer than the PW the 88 has. I also hear that it doesn't climb as good as the 88 so it gets stuck in the lower 30's when the 88 could get a little higher, causing the burn to be the same.
Once again second hand info.....

I can only comment from second hand conversations, as I have never flown the 90. I hear it taxis much nicer than the PW the 88 has. I also hear that it doesn't climb as good as the 88 so it gets stuck in the lower 30's when the 88 could get a little higher, causing the burn to be the same.
Once again second hand info.....

The 90 has a lot of power. Yes, taxiing is easy. Very often you just release the brakes, no additional power needed. The brakes are much nicer on the 90 by the way. None of the chatter you often get with an 88.

As far as climbing goes, the 90 does not get stuck in the lower 30s. Or rather, it doesn't get stuck there anymore than an 88 does. If your weight is much above 130k, you are not going much beyond the low 30s. The problem is not power, the problem is the wing.

I would say the 90 burns about 1/3 less fuel for the same flight, and the 90 carries 8 more passengers.

Latest resources

Back