Welcome to Flightinfo.com

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

IAD - the next big prize

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lowecur

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 14, 2003
Posts
2,317
With Flyi's uncertain future, it looks like this will be the focus of a few carriers. Who could step right in? Well, UAX, UAIR, DL, XJT to name a few. Since Flyi owns the terminal, the gates would probably be put up for sale in liquidation.

Jetblue is definitely interested in IAD to BOS and JFK. IAD could monopolize the release of the new 190 well into 2006 if B6 has it lined up as a base.

 
lowecur said:
With Flyi's uncertain future, it looks like this will be the focus of a few carriers. Who could step right in? Well, UAX, UAIR, DL, XJT to name a few. Since Flyi owns the terminal, the gates would probably be put up for sale in liquidation.

Jetblue is definitely interested in IAD to BOS and JFK. IAD could monopolize the release of the new 190 well into 2006 if B6 has it lined up as a base.

I would also guess a mixture of Airbus routes as well, in addition to the ones we already do.
 
Smoking Man said:
I would also guess a mixture of Airbus routes as well, in addition to the ones we already do.
If IAD's lawyers were smart, they leased the land the terminal was built on to Flyi with a stipulation that IAD would buy the terminal at a preset price if they cease operations. This would allow a seamless transition of revenue.
 
lowecur said:
If IAD's lawyers were smart, they leased the land the terminal was built on to Flyi with a stipulation that IAD would buy the terminal at a preset price if they cease operations. This would allow a seamless transition of revenue.

FLYI has a 15 lease on the terminal; they own nothing. MWAA gets it back when FLYI folds its tent.
Do not be surprised to see UAL lease the A concourse; they've maxed out their C & D concourse gates because they are using C-14 to D-4 (even gates) for RJs. Most of those RJs could go back to the A concourse along with some from the G concourse (which is also maxed out). This would help alleviate the gate shortage for mainline AND express.
JBLU will not be able to utilize the A concourse for EMB-190s; the fingers on the A concourse are not wide enough to fit an aircraft with the wingspan of a 190.
 
Andy said:
FLYI has a 15 lease on the terminal; they own nothing. MWAA gets it back when FLYI folds its tent.
Do not be surprised to see UAL lease the A concourse; they've maxed out their C & D concourse gates because they are using C-14 to D-4 (even gates) for RJs. Most of those RJs could go back to the A concourse along with some from the G concourse (which is also maxed out). This would help alleviate the gate shortage for mainline AND express.
JBLU will not be able to utilize the A concourse for EMB-190s; the fingers on the A concourse are not wide enough to fit an aircraft with the wingspan of a 190.
If MWAA gets it back, I doubt that they will lease the whole thing to UAX. I see the 36 gates being split between carriers. Airport authorities have learned their lesson on an airport being controlled by a dominant hub carrier.

I believe the difference between a CRJ and a 190 is around 24'. That's another 12' on each side between fingers. If you are talking about a parking side-by-side problem, it is my guess Jetlbue would only park 4 a/c per finger in lieu of the present 6. I could see them going after 3 fingers or 12 gates if they become available. I also see them adding low-rider jet bridges for pax protection from the elements.

http://images.airliners.net/open.file?id=857509&size=L&width=1024&height=726&sok=JURER%20%20%28cynpr%20%3D%20%27Jnfuvatgba%20-%20Qhyyrf%20Vagreangvbany%20%28VNQ%20%2F%20XVNQ%29%27%29%20%20BEQRE%20OL%20cubgb_vq%20QRFP&photo_nr=1&prev_id=&next_id=846273
 

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back
Top