I Thought I've Seen It All.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Pervis

The October 19, 2009 Issue of AW&ST has a little blurb on page 24 regarding Navy Secretary Ray Maybus' sweeping changes to the department's energy policy. The way contracts are awarded will change, reflecting lifetime energy costs of building and powering a system. Sounds reasonable, right? After all, the cost to transport much less operate systems is rather high with today's fuel technologies. Except for nuclear.

Maybus proposes a "Green Fleet"-an environmentally friendly strike group comprising nuclear vessels, hybrid electrical systems operating on biofuels, and aircraft powered soley on biofuel. This fleet would set sail as early as 2016.

Maybe he'll include a requirement for all explosive devices to spread wildflower seeds upon detonation, with one ordinance dedicated to honey bees for cross polination in every string of bombs. At least I got to serve under Ronald Reagan. One advantage to my age group.

I used to heat my house with oil. The 'Bio-Fuel' was .50 more expensive in my area.

2016 is a pipe dream for the fielding of a military system, and a waste of money...unless this maybuts character has some friends that will profit.

Yes, I am that cynical.

an excerpt from the AF Energy Policy from this year:

2.7.2. Greenhouse Gases (GHG). Greenhouse gas emissions include, but are not limited to, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), perfluorocarbons (PFCs), and sulfur hexafluoride.
The Air Force is evaluating and developing protocols that will allow it to identify, quantify, and manage greenhouse gas emissions as well as potential carbon offsets. These will include point and mobile sources as well as direct and indirect emissions resulting from Air Force operations.
The Air Force Energy Strategy supports GHG emission management and reduction from improved energy efficiency and conservation with concomitant reduction in fossil fuel use in operations and base operating support. Sustained increases in the percentage of renewable and alternative energy sources will also reduce overall Air Force GHG emissions.

I'm glad there's time for this. :nuts:

Latest resources

Back